ZX Ignition Death

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Blarty

ZX Ignition Death

Post by Blarty »

I went to start my 94 zx D after 5 days and had a mare. Ignition on coil light went out . All normal . When i turned to turn the engine I lost all the lights on the dash diagnostics and no turn over. And thats still how it is . I have checked the 3 plugs from the ignition module for continuity and they are ok . The lights exterior and interior work, hazards fine . Does this mean that it isnt the solenoid,alternator or starter motor?Any ideas much appreciated.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Sounds like a flat battery or a bad battery/earth connection.
Dave
Blarty

Post by Blarty »

The battery has 12.4 v no load and 11.5 v with headlights . I also checked continuity between the earth stud and the +ve terminal lead disconnected from battery and the continuity was good.
Any other thoughts?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Try putting the headlights on and they trying to crank the engine. If they go dim / out, then the starter is pulling current, and your battery is probably dead. Usually this results in a clicking sound - the solenoid engages the starter, which starts to draw current, which causes the battery voltage to drop, which makes the solenoid drop out, which allows the voltage to rise again, and the solenoid engages again etc etc. Get an assitant to operate the ignition and see if the starter makes any noises - rapid clicking = dead battery - single click means the solenoid is working, but the motor is not turning - suspect the brushes. No noise = solenoid stuck, or starter not getting any voltage. If nothing happens, try bashing the starter with a hammer handle and see if this shakes it into life (this can free off a stuck solenoid, or shake the brushes back down into contact with the armature). Next is to disconnect the small wire to the starter and use a multimeter to see if it getting voltage when the key is turned to start. If not, and the car has one, it could be a problem with a starter relay, otherwise you're going to have to look for a broken wire / connector.
My money is on the starter though.
Richard
Blarty

Post by Blarty »

Thanks Richard i'll give that aa try