ZX TD clutch adjustment

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Village
My Cars:

ZX TD clutch adjustment

Post by Village »

Morning folks,

My '97 ZX TD is in for its MOT as we speak, but it has also started to display some clutch slip, usually in a high gear as the turbo starts to boost.

My question is, as the pedal is quite high (the lightest pressure will disengage) is there some way I can adjust the pedal/clutch in order to avoid having to giver Mr Clutch the thick end of 275 squids to change it?

the car has c.130k miles on the clock and no service history to indicate that the clutch has been changed in the past (in fact it has no sevice history at all).

The engine pulls like a train but the body is past its best, I need some justification for keeping it rather the slinging it on the 'bay as "spares or repair".

looking forwards to your replys (all of which will say "thats cheap as chips to fix and will take you 5 minutes with a spanner/hammer", this is after all a french car....... :roll: )

cheers
Pete
French car free zone....
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I can't remember off hand if the ZX has an adjustment, if it does, you will probably find it on the end of the clutch cable where it is attached to the bellhousing lever. It sounds as though your clutch is well worn, but if you dont want to replace it, drive in such a way that you dont make it slip and it could last for another 10-20k.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I'm pretty sure all ZX's used a manual adjust cable. It might be possible to adjust it out a bit (the adjustment is on top of the gearbox). Don't go expecting to see the inner of the cable (where the adjustment is) moving though - it doesn't - on these pull clutches the outer does the moving and work :shock:. Try letting the cable out a few turns to see if that improves things - however, once you get to just a light press causing slip, then you are pretty close to gearbox out time.... :roll:
Richard W