Is the 2.1 diesel Xantia any good?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wrinklet1
My Cars:

Is the 2.1 diesel Xantia any good?

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi all, I am now looking around for a replacement Xantia, I have seen a 2.1 TD SX Xantia.
Is the 2.1 engine any good???
Is it the same engine as the 1.9 but bored out or what?
What if any are the problems with the 2.1 TD Xantia?
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The 2.1TD is the best kept secret in the world. As Peter N says, it is the best IDI diesel bar none.

It is a funny old engine. It feels totally flat from tickover to about 3500rpm and feels lifeless. No feeling of coming on boost and no big push. It is only later that you realise the engine is making big torque from tickover and driving a very high-geared gearbox that you realise it is doing something quite remarkable. Select 3rd at 40MPH, put your foot down and you can then feel the push. It flies! It is a low revving lugger rather than the more high revving more sporty feeling petrol-like 1.9TD.

The 2.1 can also give great economy, 50mpg is not out of the question on a run and at speed the engine is whisper quiet. At idle though it really sounds like a traditional diesel; quite noisy in fact but this soon clears as it speeds up.

The engine is basically the same as a 1.9TD in concept except for a three valve head and hydraulic tappets. All servicing is exactly the same and no more difficult than the 1.9TD. They look complex but they're not. Some bits are easier to get to than on a 1.9TD.

They all come fitted with the Lucas EPIC pump. A fully electronic fly-by-wire pump that does a tremendous job of metering diesel to the engine. It never smells of diesel and rarely smokes and of course gives supurb economy. Even pootling aroud town on short runs it still returns 45mpg with me.

If anything goes wrong with the EPIC it's going to be expensive. They're pretty reliable though if run on diesel. Even a sniff of veg will kill them quickly so keep off the veg.

As you might have deduced by now, I love the 2.1. So different to the 1.9TD in character though. You may not like it at first but they grow on you.

Don't be put off by the fact it is really a white van engine. Despite sounding like a Ford Transit at idle, it is silky smooth and quiet when under way.

As for problems, there arn't any. Look after them as you would a 1.9TD and they just go on and on and on. Like the 1.9, they need their cooling systems to be in top order and like frequent oil changes.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Forgot to say,

With the 2.1TD you also have the ML5 gearbox with the hydraulic clutch; light as a feather and no dreaded clutch clip. It's a cable operated gear change but very smooth and positive.

There are a lot of small differences in the 2.1TD as it shares the bulk of its running gear with the Activa and possibly the 110 HDi. The transmission is a bit beefier and it has bigger front discs.

Despite being quite scarce, parts are no problem to get, which works out well for us Activa owners; if a specific Activa bit is not apparantly available, a 2.1TD bit often fits.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

They are pretty well bomb proof apart from the head gasket, these tend to fail at around 150k. Make sure that car has plenty of antifreeze, you can test by dipping your finger in the water and tasting it, it should be very sweet, lack of it will cause premature failure. Also check the the cooling system is not being pressurised and that no water is being blow out of the overflow. If you can buy one with a failing gasket at the right price, its certainly worth doing as it should last at least another 150k