Has anyone tried this homemade fault code reader?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oscarloco
My Cars:

Has anyone tried this homemade fault code reader?

Post by oscarloco »

Hi guys

Browsing thru the web I got to this page.

http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/fuel/test.php

It is a BX site and has lots of info for testing and diagnosing the BX. Among the goodies in this page, there is this homemade fault code reader:

Has anyone used it? Is it safe? Can it be used to diagnose the Magneti Marelli 8P ECU found on the ZX?

Thanks!
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Oscar,

you have a PM :wink:

EDIT: the above *may* work with the Magnetti-Marelli 8P but definitely will not work with any Bosch ECU. They can only be "read" using pukka diagnostic tools as they communicate with a serial data stream similar to OBD but too different to be read using the standard OBDII code readers :(
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

citrojim wrote:Oscar,

you have a PM :wink:

EDIT: the above *may* work with the Magnetti-Marelli 8P but definitely will not work with any Bosch ECU. They can only be "read" using pukka diagnostic tools as they communicate with a serial data stream similar to OBD but too different to be read using the standard OBDII code readers :(
PM responded! :)

Thanks Jim. One more question,is it possible to damage the ECU trying the homemade code reader? I might give it a shot but only if there is no chance of frying the ECU. If I fry it, show is over for my ZX as it's almost impossible to get the parts down here :(
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I've just made something similar for my Ford and it works very well. The danger is in the test load you use. An LED draws very little current compared to a bulb for instance, and drawing too much current will fry the output driver in the ECU, rendering it useless for diagnostics. Obviously you want to take all standard electric/electronic precautions mentioned, make sure you observe polarities etc.

I was always led to believe the Citroen ECU's were an entirely different kettle of fish but if it's just a matter of jumpering a connector and counting pulses then I think I can do that :lol: