zx 1.9td weight

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

zx 1.9td weight

Post by deian »

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how much the 1992 ZX 1.9td Avantage weighs? And any other 'usual' data that it was supposed to have from Citroen at it's time. Should be interesting.

Thanks
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Haynes states for the TD 5 door the weight is 1102kg. Its a tubby little thing!

I weighed my BX estate and found the weight was what I was expecting - ie what was stated was correct.
jeremy
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

jeremy wrote:Haynes states for the TD 5 door the weight is 1102kg. Its a tubby little thing!

I weighed my BX estate and found the weight was what I was expecting - ie what was stated was correct.
Thats about right and what i expected to be honest, a good 200kg lighter than the same engined Xantia! 1100kg is light by todays standards, MINI's weigh about 1200kg!
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
deian

Post by deian »

Thank you for that. I didn't think to look in the haynes manual really, I thought it was an owners manual thing.

As nice as a light car is to drive, I soooo prefer heavier cars!

200kg is like two big persons in the car with you where ever you go. How much does that cost fuel/speed compared to not having those two people in the back?

Which is why I could never buy a 1.9td xantia now, it'll either be another 2.1td xantia or another 1.9td zx.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

deian wrote:Thank you for that. I didn't think to look in the haynes manual really, I thought it was an owners manual thing.

As nice as a light car is to drive, I soooo prefer heavier cars!

200kg is like two big persons in the car with you where ever you go. How much does that cost fuel/speed compared to not having those two people in the back?

Which is why I could never buy a 1.9td xantia now, it'll either be another 2.1td xantia or another 1.9td zx.

A lighter car will always be better on fuel compared to a bigger car with the same engine, but aerodynamics and gearing make up for that. A decent 1.9TD Xantia is not that bad! Performance always drops with age unless you keep an eye on it too!
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
Village
My Cars:

Post by Village »

we've got a Cit ZX TD and a Pug 406 DT with (basically) thwe same engine, the citroen's a rocketship compared with the pug!

I used to have an '82 mk1 Golf diesel whiched weighed the same as an '03 VW Lupo SDI when it was clearly a larger car!

As Colin Chapman said "to increase performance, add lightness"

(or something like that....)
French car free zone....
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The same can be said for the BX v ZX. My wife had a TZD estate which is bigger than the ZX estate she has now but the BX would leave the ZX standing and it was only an 1800. They seem to have done something to the torque charactaristics on the ZX because maximum torque seems to come up at 2500-3000 rpm, not at all diesel like and I don't like it, you have to thrash to make it go.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Peter.N. wrote:They seem to have done something to the torque charactaristics on the ZX because maximum torque seems to come up at 2500-3000 rpm, not at all diesel like and I don't like it, you have to thrash to make it go.
Something wrong there maximum torque is 2200rpm and its really flat till about 4k.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Well, that's what I thought. You dont really feel any boost until about 2,500 and then it takes off like a rocket. At 70 mph it pulls better as the XM but no low down torque,nothing like the BX. Any suggestions?
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Peter.N. wrote:Well, that's what I thought. You dont really feel any boost until about 2,500 and then it takes off like a rocket. At 70 mph it pulls better as the XM but no low down torque,nothing like the BX. Any suggestions?
Yep loads of things, firstly good service make sure the fuel filter and pick up in the tank is clean, check the boost too. If the fuelling has never been tampered with it will affect the boost i.e it will be lower and boost later. It doesnt affect it so much at higher speeds because the engine load is increased, which makes the turbo spin faster at 3000rpm in 4th than it would at 3000rpm in 2nd. Another fav is the boost sensing pipe that goes to the top of the fuel pump, when this splits low down performance is non-existant!

A minor tweak really can perform miracles!
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

The car is in very good order, in fact it's almost like new, only done 70+k miles. I must admit though I havn't changed the fuel filter but it was fully serviced by the previous owner and hasn't done much more than 10k in the three years that we have had it as we usually use my car, but it was no different when we first had it.

Is this adjustment of the fueling screw on the pump you are referring to? assuming its a Bosch. You can certainly feel the boost come in, in fact the performance is flat before about 2500 rpm and then it suddenly takes off and goes really well. It feels more like a petrol engine to drive. How much adjustment is required? I seem to remember from years ago that it screws in, clockwise to increase the fuel.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Peter.N. wrote:The car is in very good order, in fact it's almost like new, only done 70+k miles. I must admit though I havn't changed the fuel filter but it was fully serviced by the previous owner and hasn't done much more than 10k in the three years that we have had it as we usually use my car, but it was no different when we first had it.

Is this adjustment of the fueling screw on the pump you are referring to? assuming its a Bosch. You can certainly feel the boost come in, in fact the performance is flat before about 2500 rpm and then it suddenly takes off and goes really well. It feels more like a petrol engine to drive. How much adjustment is required? I seem to remember from years ago that it screws in, clockwise to increase the fuel.
Age is the killer rather than mileage, things lose their tension, pipes perish. The smoke adjustment screw on the top of the pump needs turning clockwise about half a turn at first, there is a cogwheel underneath the diaphragm that also needs turning about 45-90 degrees clockwise, the diaphragm itself has a dimple on the top which if lined up to '4 o clock' or the bottom right screw hole, will have a more aggressive profile for the metering needle, combined with the increase in spring tension from the cog wheel adjustment you get massive improvements in driveability.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Thanks, I will try that.
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

My thoughts... I (we) have 3 Xant diesels;

a 1994 TD 1.9 VSX Activa(?) with lots of spheres, which has 250k on the clock and flies.

The 1997 1.9TD Estate is much less spritely until on the turbo, and this is clearly due to:

1) Weight difference
2) Exhaust throttling due to cat
3) Possible differences in pump/turbo specs

The 1999 HDi 90 Estate is a totally different beast, with torque from 1000rpm, good enough overall performance, excellent cruise and wonderful fuel economy 0 50+MPG - a joy to drive in fact.

Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

One final thing, removing the awful damper off the throttle linkage does more for driveability than anything else! It makes the pedal heavy and slow, whip it off and be amazed at the difference!
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7