1.9 Td against Hdi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Ford use the 1.6 HDI not the 2.0 HDI PSA unit the Ford TDCI engine (also used in the Transit and available as a 2.0, 2.2 and 2.5) has no relation to the PSA lump.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

The latest 2007 onwards model Mondeo does now use the 1997cc 2.0 HDi badged as TDCi. The mk3 Mondeo used the 1998cc Ford engine.

Peter, I appreciate what you're saying about the problem of DIY on common rail engines and its something I have considered as I do tend to keep cars for several years and work on them myself wherever possible. I don't think the failure rates are actually very high, there are plenty of HDi vans and taxis around with well over 250k on the clock, but if they do fail it can certainly be expensive.

The Xantia and Xsara HDi do at least avoid the dual mass flywheel, it was only introduced with the C5 !
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

XantiaMan583 wrote:Ford use the 1.6 HDI not the 2.0 HDI PSA unit the Ford TDCI engine (also used in the Transit and available as a 2.0, 2.2 and 2.5) has no relation to the PSA lump.
Correct! The wikipedia articles on the subject seem to suggest otherwise (although incorrectly). To make things more complicated, the Mondeo got a 2.2 transit van derived TDCI and will get a PSA derived one in the future.
nick wrote: The Xantia and Xsara HDi do at least avoid the dual mass flywheel, it was only introduced with the C5 !
Thats incorrect. The dual mass flywheel came with the 2.0 HDI 110, so if you've got an 2.0 HDI 110, you've got a dual mass flywheel. Both the Xantia and Xsara get the HDI 110.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

There are obviously a lot of you out there with superior knowledge to mine, and I bow to that. My information has mostly been obtained from the net although I do have a couple of friends, one with a Mondeo and another with a 607 and both have had expensive engine trouble. You obviously only hear about the problem cars and I am probably biased by the fact that the only two common rail engines I know in the flesh as it were, have been troublesome. As you say Nick, there are plenty of high milers out there, but the thought of a potential problem that I can't deal with, puts me off somewhat. I think I will stick with my 2.1 IDI for as long as possible. :D :D

I have ben running diesels since 1960 and have always been able to repair them, so maybe you can understand my concern.

Peter.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Thats incorrect. The dual mass flywheel came with the 2.0 HDI 110, so if you've got an 2.0 HDI 110, you've got a dual mass flywheel. Both the Xantia and Xsara get the HDI 110.
No, have a look on service.citroen.com - neither the Xantia or Xsara HDi in either 90 or 110 form had dual mass flywheels.

The DMF was introduced on the 110 version of the C5.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Peter. n you seem to do most of you're maintenance yourself.

I have avoided the 2.1Td in the Xantia forever because it is supposedly impossible to work on. I think you actually have to remove the engine to change the starter motor in the Xantia.

In your Xms is there space to work on them properly?
I know theres a lot more room but I haven't really had a good look.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Elma

When the 2.1 first came out it in the XM was regarded as horrendously complicated but compared with current cars its simple! Its not the easiest engine in the world to work on but is very reliable. Most will need a head gasket at around 150k, but having replaced it, you can look forward to at least another 150k of trouble free motoring, or with the new laminated steel gasket that I fitted, probably a lot more.

It does state in the Haynes manual that you have to remove the engine to change the head gasket, but I did mine in situ - not easy but certainly worth the effort. The starter I don't know about, but its certainly not to difficult to remove from the XM.

A well maintained 2.1 will run almost forever, the last XM I sold had covered 292k and was still going well, and they a capable of better mpg then the 1.9 and of course better performance. I have run six 2.1 XMs over the last 12 years or so and have had no major engine problems apart from the head gasket.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

elma wrote:I have avoided the 2.1Td in the Xantia forever because it is supposedly impossible to work on.
No, not at all, in fact some items are actually easier to get to than on the 1.9TD.

The only major component you cannot remove in-situ is the cylinder head although I believe someone on here has with a few skinned knuckles.

Having done a 1.9TD head job, removing the engine complete would actually have made the job easier so I don't see this as too much of a disadvantage for the 2.1.

I have to fully agree with Peter that the 2.1 is the engine of choice. It's a beaut :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

So,
contary to popular belief the 2.1 is ok to work on?

Does this include all jobs.
Out of all this is anything really difficult?

Full service
Changing cambelt (compared to 1.9td)
Changing alt belt
Alternator
Glow plugs

Can't think of anything else engines need at the miinute

If they weren't so bad I'd be quite interested in a 2.1 Xantia.
Maybe even an Xm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

elma wrote: Full service
Changing cambelt (compared to 1.9td)
Changing alt belt
Alternator
Glow plugs
A full Service is no different to a 1.9TD. Aux belt, the same. Cambelt, very little different, just a slightly different tensioner, more on the lines of an early XU petrol engine.

Alternator is as painful as an Activa. A bit more tricky than a 2.1TD but read how I did an Activa and that's how to do it.

Glow plugs are, once the inlet runnrs are removed (two bolts and the EGR pipe clip), dead easy as there is no bulky Injection Pump in the way.

The only downside of the 2.1 is the Lucas EPIC electronic fly by wire pump but if you run on good diesel they're reliable and work well, giving supurb economy.

The accumulator sphere is easier to get to, as is the oil filter.

You will not be disappointed with a 2.1TD at all Elma :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Barbarian

Post by Barbarian »

The 1.9TD can run on 100% veg oil. Id like to see that done in an HDI :lol:
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

The only job that is substantially more difficult is the head gasket, but as you are unlikely to have to do it more than once, if at all, I wouldn't worry to much about it.

The XM's all had mechanically governed fuel pumps untill '96, it wouldn't be to difficult to fit one to a Xantia.