xantia poor fuel consumption

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tdolman

xantia poor fuel consumption

Post by tdolman »

I have a xantia 1.9TD estate

The last two time I have checked my fuel consumption it has only been returning 33MPG is this normal, I am fairly heavy footed with it but thought is should return more than this.

Any ideas where to start looking for faults?

Cheers

Tim
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Tim,

Yes, that is a bit low but in my experience the 1.9TD works hard in a Xantia and is not as economical as an HDi or 2.1.

First thing to do is a full service. Oil and filters. A slighhtly choked air filter will wreak havoc with economy.

Give it a good, hard "Italian Tuneup" (i.e. a good hard thrash in lower gears) to remove any carbon buildup in the manifolds and exhaust. If the exhaust is a little blocked, this too can make a fair difference. Likewise, a choked CAT as well.

Check you have no leaks in the inlet tract and the little hhose between the top of the injection pump and the Turbo pipe is intact. If you're not getting full boost that'll make a difference too.

Finally, ensure you have no binding brakes and your tracking is OK.

Are the tyre pressures OK?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
tdolman

Post by tdolman »

Thanks jim

will have a look at the items you suggest, just had 4 new tyres fitted and tracking done so should be no probs there, brakes do feel a bit sticky i.e when i pull up to a junction on a slight incline it remains stationary when i let the brakes off, i've always put this down to quirkiness with the hydraulic brakes ?

Just done some more calcs and reckon that when towing the caravan last weekend (into quite a strong head wind one way) i have averaged 20 MPG :shock:

must be some thing amiss

I have always felt this one to be underpowered compared to a hatchback i owned previously but put that down to the fact that its an estate and therefore heavier and not so aerodynamic?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If your handbrake is working properly (ie releasing) the brakes could be sticking a bit due to air in the lines - which can be removed by bleeding.

Another possible cause can be degeneration on the inside of the flexy hose causing the lining to collapse and act like a one way valve. I wonder if clamping the hoses during servicing or repair can damage them internally. Its probably OK if a proper tool is used but maybe things like mole wrenches cause damage?
jeremy
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

I always get at least 40mpg from my hard driven Xantia. Things to check are its running hot enough, all your filters are fresh, and your tyres pumped up properly. Although the estate is heavier than the hatch, there should not be a significant difference. And yes, a damn good thrash does wonders! :lol:
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The fact it's an estate should make very little difference as Gareth says. In fact my estate (a 2.1TD admittedly) consistently returns 45-50mpg under mixed conditions.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

A good place to start looking for sticky brakes is the rears. Crud (technical term), due to the reaction of the two metals, builds up between the suspension arm and the brake caliper. This always builds up as a wedge and forces the brake caliper out of alignment. First rubbing pad to disk, then rubbing caliper to disk!
Pug Rifter long (20) - 41mpg - Gutsy for a 1.5!
Xantia 1.9 TD Temp.2 Break (97) - 208K@42mpg - Resting again.
Berlingo Multispace 1.6 16v (51) - 184K@36mpg - My shed! Still runs 15° retarded...