Zx 1.9td Volcane Speedo Wobble, Sticking/Juddering

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

coopertron wrote:Right everyone, an update on the proceedings so far.

I have replaced the upper cable....
Can I ask how you went about replacing the cable....

Was it a difficult job?

Any good tips?
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

cooperton wrote:Basically when you stop the car, the speedo will still read say 10 mph. Eventually I think it returns to the rest postion but I am not sure as I reverse the car back onto the drive.
Our Zx does exactly this, but since the speedo is pretty accurate once rolling I just ignore it. The speedo in the Xantia on the other hand jumps from 0 -6 mph as soon as rolling, and is more optimistic then Brown and Darling are on the state of the economy :lol:
Richard W
coopertron

Post by coopertron »

Hi Uncle Buck,

I replaced the cable as per the Haynes Manual guide (not that it is that informative).

I would recommend removing the rubber gromet thing between the bulkhead and the engine bay that the cable passes through, as this makes it awkward to put in and take out.

Basically you tie string/twine round the end of the old cable in the engine bay after uncoupling it from the lower section. Then pull the old cable through the dash inside the car (after removing the dash sections and speedo clock of course). Once you have pulled the cable out completely, attach the end of the new cable to the string/twine that you have dragged through with the old cable, and then pull the new cable back through the dash and the bulkhead and back into the engine bay.

Refit the rubber gromet to the cable and the hole in the engine bay, and the cable to the speedo clock.

At this point, I found the outer sheath of the new cable was too long, by about a couple of inches at least, so I had to cut the excess off.

I would recommend using strong twine rather than string to tie round the end of the old cable in the engine bay, as the string I used snapped when I started to pull the cable back through, though fortunately I had pulled it far enough that I could reach through the hole in the engine bay and retrieve the cable...
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

coopertron,
Thanks for the tips / advice :wink:

If my jumping / noisy speedo cable gets any worse I may have to replace it.

Thanks.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer