Xantia Diesel Problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andydykes
My Cars:

Xantia Diesel Problems

Post by andydykes »

Have a MK2 1.9 TD Xantia. Was running fine with maybe the odd puff of smoke on hard acceleration.

Due it's mot and noticed the exhaust a bit loud took it into garage and part of the system replaced. Wife was using the car today started fine drove fine then the engine management light came on. Loss of power, lots of smoke greyish but not black or sooty and very noisy.

Not happy :cry:

How can I read the engine codes? I had used a paper clip on my Frontera and counted the flashes can I do the same and once I have the codes where can I find out what they mean.

Reluctant to take to garage as if its serious its going on ebay fo spares. I am running out of money on cars. Have a knackered Renault Grand Espace with similar problems :cry:
Current Car C5 1.8LX
Pre Loved Citroen's
Picasso Diesel, Xantia Diesel, Xsara Petrol, BX1.9 GTI Petrol, BX Diesel, GSA, GS
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Being a 1.9 TD they are failry simple and the light coming on could be something as simple as an airlock in the fuel system. When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? Has it been run on veg or biodiesel at all?

Gareth
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
andydykes
My Cars:

Post by andydykes »

XantiaMan583 wrote:Being a 1.9 TD they are failry simple and the light coming on could be something as simple as an airlock in the fuel system. When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? Has it been run on veg or biodiesel at all?

Gareth
6 or 7 months for fuel filter no biodiesel or veg fuel unless Sainsburys are selling dodgy fuel? Why would it sound like a washing machine full of nails rattling round?
Current Car C5 1.8LX
Pre Loved Citroen's
Picasso Diesel, Xantia Diesel, Xsara Petrol, BX1.9 GTI Petrol, BX Diesel, GSA, GS
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The Engine Management Light coming on simply means the ECU is not seeing a sensor properly. Either the TDC sensor down by the bellhousing or the No.3 Injector Needle Lift Sensor.

If the Engine Management Light comes on the ECU goes into a "limp home" mode and fully retards the pump timing, hence the smoke and noise.

My guess is the exhaust fitters have disturbed either the TDC sensor wiring or even maybe the Vehicle Speed Sensor wiring on the Final Drive housing by the RH driveshaft. Both are in very close proximity to where they would have been working.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
andydykes
My Cars:

Post by andydykes »

Checked all leads and seemed to be intact. Attempted to start the car. Ran well ticked over very noisey for a min before a bang and bits of engine everywhere. OK not everywhere, the wheel which the cambelt fits on broke into pieces :evil:

The car is now on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=011 or pm me to make an offer.

Andy
Last edited by andydykes on 09 Mar 2008, 19:54, edited 2 times in total.
Current Car C5 1.8LX
Pre Loved Citroen's
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

:shock:

Which wheel precisely Andy? There are rather a lot of them and it would be interesting to know....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
andydykes
My Cars:

Post by andydykes »

citrojim wrote::shock:

Which wheel precisely Andy? There are rather a lot of them and it would be interesting to know....
Its the large toothed metal wheel at the end of the camshaft. The cam belt goes round it
Current Car C5 1.8LX
Pre Loved Citroen's
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's a very unusual failure.

It's clear now, the management light was on becasue the timing was out due to the sprocket failing. It must have been cracked previously and then let go.

That'll be a good buy for someone at £250. The most it'll need is another head and given it went at tickover, the cam caps may just have survived. It's a fair assumption the camshaft will be in several pieces though.
Jim