After all that the car went and died

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

After all that the car went and died

Post by elma »

Well the suspension and steering are great on my car now.
But the Engine is dead.
Went to London yesterday and just as we arrived the power steering started to feel a bit heavy.
Got out to check the lhm level and noticed thet the o/s of the engine was black with oil.
Managed to get AA home, only took 8 hours.

Looks like the head gasket to me.
Leaking from the corner below the diesel pump.
Really flys out when revving the engine.

Even though I noticed when it'd only lost about 2 litres of oil I think the engine is beyond economical repair.
I say this because yesterday morning it didn't sound quite right.
I believe this happened because the oil chamber in the no 4 piston clogged up, hence the weird noise of an unlubricated piston.

THat would mean not just a simple gasket and skim but a rebore and so on so I can't be bothered.
I have been offered a decent engine for free if I collect it from North Wales, but this causes problems in itself, transporting it and not really having time to make the swap because my exams are looming.
I might store it until the hols and sort it, might scrap it, might break it. Not sure yet. The decision will make itself when I'm back on the road.

If anyone has a 1.9 td for sale, preferably needing some work so it isn't to pricey please pm me. Otherwise it's looking like I may be in a civic for a little while. Not such a bad thing though I always have liked Honda.

For those of you on veg oil, this may have been a factor in my engines failure. Don't know yet, but when I have some time I intend to open it up and see what went wrong so I'll let you all know.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Sorry to hear that Elma :(

be interested to know what happened, at this stage I can't really see it relating to SVO ....

John
elma

Post by elma »

Theres a couple of reasons I think it may have been a factor (although not solely to blame)

The first being that when the car is cold the engine stutters, things aren't running right when it stutters and damage could happen by overheating and by incorrect pressure differences either side of the piston rings

The second is that we have discussed the potential for veg to alter the timing. Although I believed it wouldn't, if it does this could cause the engine to run hot and cause problems. As my xant didn't have an oil temp guage I'll never know.

The third, I've not got much else to blame at the minute except age so it's my scrape goat for now.

It'll be summer hols before mine gets dissected, but I will be thouroughly investigating whilst learning a lot about the insides of an Xud 9.
bigjl2
My Cars:

Cheap xantia needing work

Post by bigjl2 »

I have a metallic red xantia, 1.9td sx, with working aircon, two new michelins on the front cost nearly £100 done at same time as wheel alignment, rears budget but nearly new, all four electric windows work, electric sunroof works, it has every mot to warrant the miles and loads of other history, showing just over 102k at the moment, however the clutch is starting to slip when you drive it hard up a hill, and there is a water leak from the vicinity of the water pump, but you are welcome to take it away for £150. PM me or 07794170304, ask for justin, the tax is out but I can tax it for you at cost to you, the MOT is long I think more than six months but would have to double check, just had a fuel filter as I was running on an svo mix, it is located in purfleet essex, near the dartford bridge/M25/A13 junction, I was driving with the leak just kept topping up, engine is sweet, gearbox is good, thought I would make the offer, as I am considering a C5, but if you aren't interested I may fix it as money allows. Cheers
Xantia 2.0SX estate (now sold)
Xantia 1.9 TD SX hatch 102K (all old MOT'S) and working A/C.(Sold to forum member, time to save for a C5)
2007 Berlingo Multispace 1.4i Forte, bought in November with genuine 27k miles, now on 39799 miles.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sorry to hear that Elma :cry:

Actually I doubt you've done any damage and it's likely worth doing a head gasket job rather than scrapping it. I hate to see early Mk1 Xantias die :cry: The noise you hear is likely all connected to the massive leak causing low oil pressure to the camshaft and valve train. The bottom end is very unlikely to have suffered. Cams and valve gear starved of oil will make a horrible racket.

My personal jury is still out on the veg and damage question although a lot of bumping and misfiring on startup is hardly doing any favours to the engine although it's not clear how it could cause the problem you have.

A head gasket is a long-winded job and more fiddly than difficult :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma

Post by elma »

Thanks for the offer Justin, had to decline because of the distance though.
If anyone else is interested please don't feel rude to butt in, I'm sure he won't mind.

I hear what you're saying Jim,
It really doesn't feel right letting it die.
Unfortunately I don't have the time at the minute to be doing a head gasket and for what the cars cost I don't see the point in paying to have the head skimmed.

The mileage of the engine is unknown as the car came with 2 sets of gauges and a non working speedo which makes me more reluctant.
Add that to the fact that the turbo seals are virtually non existant, theres various other leaks in the engine bay and clutch failure is looming I really think that the best option is to replace the car.

I have sourced a good vsx engine and gear box (mine whines) which I have known for the last 5 years or so as a replacement, but due to exams looming I don't have the time to change it.

I know it's not difficult work but the engines at the other end of wales and theres always something to go wrong turning my weekends work into a fortnights hassle.

I'm not happy scrapping it though, the car is otherwise in reasonable health and well on the way to being as good as a 1994 gets. In fact I expected it to be virtually mint by the end of the summer holidays.

My plan at the minute is to dip into the savings a bit and buy a good example which needs nothing doing to it. I prefer bargains but don't have the time for my hobby of tinkering with a new bargain at the moment.

If my parents are agreeable then I shall put the car on sorn at their house until the summer hols and switch the engine.
If not then I'd like for it to go to someone who has the time to sort it, it has 6 months mot and tax so I reckon someone out there would really get a lot from the car.
Scrap yard will be avoided for this car if at all possible.
bigjl2
My Cars:

new car

Post by bigjl2 »

One thing to remember, depending on budget, I was at a car auction and a 52 reg c5 in a nice silver colour, with the 110hdi engine, FCSH, and 112k, went for £1650, this is what has made me hesitate spending 3 or 4 hundred on my xantia, few months saving and o/t and I will have a newer car for the family, maybe a bit of minicab work on the side, the one regret with my xantia is,believe it or not, is the sunroof, it takes away enough of the headroom to make it uncomfortable foe long distance journeys, but I may keep it for the wife to drive, she does about 30k a year and it did run well on svo/derv mix
Xantia 2.0SX estate (now sold)
Xantia 1.9 TD SX hatch 102K (all old MOT'S) and working A/C.(Sold to forum member, time to save for a C5)
2007 Berlingo Multispace 1.4i Forte, bought in November with genuine 27k miles, now on 39799 miles.
elma

Post by elma »

You're right about the c5,
they are becoming affordable.

I did think about them this morning but I don't really like them that much.
I have been in a couple, my opinion isn't just based on pictures.
They are a good car though and I would take one if it were a bargain.

The big problem for me is I like mechanical things which don't need computers to work and so I should have been born 20 years earlier than I was. Can't think of many modern cars which would run w/o their computer.

The other one is I've got almost enough spare bits to build a Xantia so it makes sense to stick with them for now.
elma

Post by elma »

Just to add,
about the engine
I think there is damage to the bore.

I noticed the weird noises before I set off, just after I'd checked the oil level.
After noticing the noises I went to tesco and filled up the screenwash and tyres.
When I did this there was no oil leak at all.

For the noise to occur before the leak became manifest I would suspect that the cause was a problem within the engine.

I could be wrong, I still class myself as a Learner as far as engines go, but this is my gut feeling.