Xantia Clutch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stuartadair

Xantia Clutch

Post by stuartadair »

Hello All,

I've got a Xantia clutch to change at the weekend. 1.9 diesel M reg.
Any hints and tips before I dive in :?:

Ta

Stu
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Stu,

Yes, one tip. Let someone else do it :lol:

Seriously, it is a real 5-spanner job.

Disassembly is straightforward. Mating the engine back to the gearbox is not.

Have a look at the following:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=23395

and

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=23322

It's fun :roll:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
stuartadair

Post by stuartadair »

Thats seriously useful Jim. Thanks. According to the Haynes manual you have to remove the LHM fluid reservoir which I didnt fancy doing but you seem to have got around that problem. I'm hoping to start the job on Friday evening and finish by Sunday at the latest
Stu
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

heartily concur took me and a mate over five hours to get the gearbox to mount properly (M reg TD) cant believe they made it so complicated :evil:
M reg xantia 1.9td 266000 miles expired
R reg xantia 1.9td 186000 miles veggy power expired
L reg renault clio 1.9D 91000 miles expired at 107000 miles
x reg clio 15d veggy power bottom of the car rotted through
06 c5 2.2 TD wowser so much power and comfort 160000 miles
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

All the very best with that Stu, hopefully by Sunday I will have resolved my refitting issues :) Else, you will have cracked it and will be able to tell me how to do it :lol:

On here we call the Haynes manual the "BoL" which stands for "Book of Lies"

It contains some good stuff but read it with a cellar of salt at the ready. It can also be very superficial about some Xantia jobs. Look at the paragraphs on how to refit the gearbox as an example :twisted:

I reckon you'll be OK following my findings with the LHM reservoir but do note that my 1.9TD is a very early one so what I say may not apply fully to later models.

In fact, to get at the gearbox mount properly it's not so much the LHM reservoir that has to be removed but the ABS block and you really don't want to go there if you can help it. In any case you have to remove the mount from the end of the gearbox however you approach it otherwise there is just not enough room between the gearbox and chassis rail to slide the box back far enough to disengage it from the clutch.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
stuartadair

Post by stuartadair »

Thanks all. I hope you guys are online over the weekend. If I get stuck I'll bin the "Book of Lies" and and go to my computer :D
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi Stuart,
I did my clutch in my xantia a couple of yrs ago with the aid of my brother in law, not an easy job, one thing we did do was to remove the bonnet, once that was out of the way it made it easier. Also we had the aide of my wife constantly bringing out drinks thereofre cutting down on the swearing!!!!!

Paul
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Hi Stuart can confrim no need to remove res.

I have done 3 xantia boxes now, best I could manage was 4 hours start to finish (don't tell Jim he'll kill me) ;)

If I think of anything useful to say (unlikely) i will post more...

one of the hardest things is attempting to get all the pipework to sit properly in the plastic thing on the box, I never bother now.. frustrating

John
stuartadair

Post by stuartadair »

Quick update. I've got the gearbox off. It took me 2 1/2 hrs which I thougth was ok for a first go on a Citroen. It was a bit of a pain actually dropping the box off because it kept catching on the subframe.

I'm getting the new clutch tomorrow morn and will be refitting then. My clutch aligning tool fits the hole in the flywheel and clutch perfectly so I shouldnt have any alignment issues and I marked the position of the release bearing before removing as advised.

Lets see what tomorrow bring .... :D
Stu
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Good luck Stu...

I'll be there doing the same job :D
Jim

stuartadair

Post by stuartadair »

All sorted. Took me 4 hours this morning to get the box back on and give my neighbour his car back. I used a lining tool to make sure the clutch was perfectly lined up and because I'd marked everything it all went back 1st time.

Thanks once again for all your help
Stu
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent news Stu, good quick work :D :D

Mine would have been all done today as well but my girls had other ideas; dad's taxi has been very busy today :lol: :lol:
Jim