Getting the gearbox back on: Heeeellllpppp!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Getting the gearbox back on: Heeeellllpppp!!!!

Post by CitroJim »

I've been struggling all morning to get the gearbox back on after my clutch change on my 1.9TD. Try as I might I just can't get the gearbox input shaft to pop back in. Nearly 5 hours now I've been struggling and I just cannot do it.

I've had the box off htree times and checked the alignment of the clutch plate and release bearing and everything is absolutely spot on and yet the input shaft just won't slide in...

What is the secret please?

If it doesn't soon go in there will be a Xantia for sale as spares or repairs...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Jim,

I wrote this reply then your server appeared to have a stop too...

"Jim,

It should just go on.... although I did it with a friend which helps.

Set the release fork so the fingers are pointing at the clutch, and the release bearing so it's the right way up. Offer up the box and slide the input shaft into the clutch. Look in the gap between the box and engine and make sure the release fingers are pointing towards the back of the engine so that they will rotate the right way as the box goes home. It should then slide home. On the ZX I had to rotate the input shaft a bit so that it would engage with the driven plate. I think there's a dowel on the casing too - make sure you are not fouling on this.

I'd come and give you a hand, but it's a bit far from Glasgow :roll: "

PM's you ref the server.
Richard W
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

keep going Jim,, it's the hardest bit of job.. shine a torch in to check alignment visually
As Rich says, turn the input shaft a bit.. it's a git on your own, a hoist taking the weight from above can help..

John
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Hi Jim,

In the (unlikely) event it's still defeating you, I should be able to give you a hand this weekend.

That's assumig my crankshaft doesn't wreck something on the way up there :oops:
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

might sound silly but have you slid the clutch plate onto the spline on the input shaft to make sure they are the same splines ?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Darkeness is falling and I've abandoned the job for today no further forward :( I'm exhausted, frustrated and defeated (temporarily) Never have I known such a job :evil:

Richard, thanks, I have checked all that, I can see exactly how the forks engage in the release bearing and had them beautifully engaged, I've checked for fouling and OK. In short I have tried every way I know to make the splines slide down into the driven plate. I've a hoist suspending the gearbox but only my 84 year old dad to help me. He has been brilliant but there is only so much he can do.

Wheeler, I've done just that, even to doing a dummy fit with the new cover, release bearing and driven plate with the gearbox off. Everything is perfect.

As I say, It's got me. I'm stumped :roll:

Mike, thanks :D I'll not be able to look at it again until the weekend due to work commitments.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Hi Jim

Have you tried shouting very loudly "GET ON THERE YOU FRENCH BITCH" It usualy works for me!!!

I normaly find that there is a bit of wibble and wobble, then click, thump and in it goes, having said that, the last one that I did, we picked up the gearbox, pushed it towards the engine and bingo, it went straight on first time with no troubles at all.

I allways rekon on one on top to hold the box up and one from underneath to line it up and push home.

Good luck, there's another day dawning.

Regards
Slim.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

The hardest part of the job!

Your lucky if you can get it back on with just one person. I've done it on other cars, even without a clutch alignment tool!

I would recommend a big trolley jack, get it to rough height, one person to lift a little and get in the right place and push another person with a spanner on the crank and giving it a jiggle. Putting a bolt in whilst its starting to go over the splines but obviously making sure nothing gets bent, a bent input shaft is not exactly ideal.

But sod doing it on your own, you'll do yourself an injury, get someone to help.

Gareth
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

citrojim wrote: As I say, It's got me. I'm stumped :roll:

Mike, thanks :D I'll not be able to look at it again until the weekend due to work commitments.
Don't worry Jim, that sort of stumped always proves to be temporary.

I've got a weekend pass so when do you recommend I set foot on your doorstep and show my face to offer a hand? 8)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Jim,

Thinking about it, when we put the ZX box back on, my mate was underneath and gave the gearbox a good lift / shuggle from underneath before it slid home. I suspect that we didn't have the angle quite right and this was causing the input shaft to hang up. I wonder if this is what is causing you the trouble - the angle of the dangle looked right, but then once the box was mated the lifting straps at the back were loose suggesting that it wasn't right. It's certainly easier with another pair of (non-octagenarian 8) ) hands to help!

We had less 'fun' TBH with the ZX TD box than we did with my mates 306 HDi we did the month before - that was awkward to say the least. There is a coolant heater bolted on top of the box that is almost impossible to get off, the LH drive shaft bolts wouldn't come out as someone had been there before us and bent them, we had to drill out the release arm retaining pin so we could change the bushes and input shaft bearing, the clutch cable was a bitch - you have to remove the A/C pipes FFS (fortunately already discharged). The only good thing about that job was the lack of a pull clutch!!

slim123 wrote:"GET ON THERE YOU FRENCH BITCH"
Oh yes, that's used a lot. Never helps, but makes me feel better!
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

when i have had one like yours which has put up fight, i find the splines in the clutch plate get burd, so i use a small triangle file to clean the leading edges up,

the other thing i find stops the box going home is the back of the diff hitting the sub frame,

mind you i cheat as i have a brilliant engine/box support beam which sits on the top of the inner wing (magic), with this i can raise and lower both engine and or box as needed,

MOST INPORTANT you must have them perfectly square on or they just will not mate up
regards malcolm
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

We have a set of bolts 2 or 3 bolts depending on which the model, that screw into the threads on the bellhousing and have the ends of the shaft where the bolt head has been cut off rounded off so they don't cause grabbing problems and we use these as guide when reassembling. These hold it perfectly level whilst allowing for a bit of wriggling, and have the shaft lined up perfectly (providing the clutch plate is also lined up spot on) and found this save a lot of this frustration.
They need to be long enough to screw into the thread but not too long so they foul on the bellhousing when withdrawing them and unfortunately I don't have them here at present to measure for you, but not hard to fathom.
The hardest one we ever struck was on a BX TZi and in that case we had the engine out of the car at the time and even tried standing the engine on its end. :shock:
My eldest son then came up with a brilliant idea of slackening off the bolts on the pressure plate slightly and wriggling the box and in she went.
We then slid the gearbox partially off and tightened the pressure plate bolts back up through the narrow space, then removed the spacers we'd used and slipped it back on.
Might be worth a thought.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks all, that's a brilliant set of hints :D I see the light at the end of the tunnel now :D

I know you're right Gareth, this is one job for which I need help...
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

It's back on :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

It was still a struggle but the clincher was my daughter wishing me luck. As soon as she said that, it went home a treat :D

All the tips were used and between them all it did the job.. Premier amongst the tips though was Slim's suggesting of shouting rude things to it :lol: :lol:

I will continue my blow-by-blow account later, One very important thing is that whilst you gan pull the 'box off single-handed, replacement is a two person job. One up top and one down below really is the secret..
Jim

nobbytucker
My Cars:

Post by nobbytucker »

Good News Jim !!!!!!!!!! :D )))