'95 ZX central locking query

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenesque
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

'95 ZX central locking query

Post by citroenesque »

The ZX's central locking doesn't work. I checked the fuse and looked for any obvious signs of wire breaks, but have come to the conclusion that I need to check the relay/control module. I thought I knew where it was (according to the Haynes!) but in it's place is the sensor for the seat belt pre-tensioners.

I'm at a loss - the thing is almost the size of a ciggy packet apparently, with a connector at one end. Where have Citroen hidden it?

I've looked behind the fuse box (I don't think it's there) and even in the bonnet box.... Is it behind the glove box or something?

Anyone know? (My local Citroen dealership service dept didn't)...

Also, while rooting about I found orange wiring under the front seats. What's that? Something to do with the pre-tensioner system?
1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Diesel hatch, white, 92k
*SOLD* 1998 Citroen Xantia Ser.1 Turbo Diesel manual, Desire Limited Edition hatch, Mauritius Blue, 118k
2003 Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE Tourer auto, BRG, 135k
deian

Post by deian »

The orange wiring is for the seatbelt pre-tensioners yes, these can be the root of the airbag warning light fault on the xantia.

My guess to the location of the box is under the steering wheel, or behind the handbrake lever.

I think the seatbelt pre-tensioner box you talk about is between the gearstick and centre console, the gyrometer right? The G sensor to determine when to deflate the airbag/seatbelts. It works with the sensors in the bumpers to determine how much (two stage) to deflate the airbag (if at all) as well as whether to activate the seatbelt pre-tensioners or both together.. I assume your ZX has airbags too.

Hope that helps.
citroenesque
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by citroenesque »

Hi, the car doesn't have airbags. The G sensor you refer to is bolted o/s of the handbrake. There's nothing else under that centre console, and nothing between it and the gearstick.

I will have another root around under the steering wheel and behind the fuse box... maybe I've missed something!
*SOLD* 1998 Citroen Xantia Ser.1 Turbo Diesel manual, Desire Limited Edition hatch, Mauritius Blue, 118k
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The remote control reciever on the XM is under the glove box - if that's any help at all :?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I've got a suspicion it's in the driver's door. ISTR that there seemed to be more stuff in there than just the solenoid when I have had to strip ours down (more times than I want to really!). Before that though I would check in the roof lining by the receiver, and under the passenger seat.
Richard W
deian

Post by deian »

I don't want to state the obvious here, but have you checked the Haynes Workshop Manual?
citroenesque
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by citroenesque »

I have checked the Haynes and it puts it next to the handbrake, where of course mine isn't.

I will have a look around again later today, if I get a chance.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

It's above the fuse box. If you remove the fuse box cover and push your hand up the inside, you'll feel it.

It's pretty easy to change, if you can get hold of a good one! 8)

I've always found the Haynes description utterly unacceptable - I expect somebody could do themselves a nasty injury by mistaking the SB tensioners for the CL unit...

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
citroenesque
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by citroenesque »

Sl4yer wrote:...mistaking the SB tensioners for the CL unit...
I noticed the label on the side of the unit warning us not to remove it were not visible until the unit was unbolted!

Thanks for the information :)
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

No worries.

Thinking about it, I seem to recall that it's screwed to the back of the panel, with the screw head on the front. So if you look for a screw (or maybe two) just above the fuse box opening (with the cover removed) you'll locate it.

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto