1.8i berlingo cutting out under braking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AlexM

1.8i berlingo cutting out under braking

Post by AlexM »

Hi, my 1.8 berlingo has an intermittent stalling/cutting out problem. On starting the car and in the first few miles of the journey, applying the brakes (either in neutral, clutch down or in gear at any rpm causes) means the revs die and the engine cuts out. This will happen a few times before it "fixes" itself and is ok for the rest of the journey (ie wont cut out under braking for junctions etc). However sometimes driving 100miles on the motorway not using the brakes, the engine will cut out again on first application of the brakes (eg slip road or traffic) in 5th gear at 2000+rpm, fully warmed up engine etc.

The car also struggles intermittently on start up (takes 2/3 goes to start sometimes), and when started the act of sticking it into reverse with clutch down causes a cut out (same as when tapping the brakes first time).

However some journeys the car will start first time, run fine and not cut out at all.

Changing the battery, cleaning the stepper motor and cleaning fuse contacts on the brake/reserve lights circuit has made no difference so far.

Any help much appreciated
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Welcome to our playpen, Alex. :)

Vacuum leaks will cause the engine to stop when returning to idle from higher revs.
A vacuum leak hisses, and is cold.
Squirting around the manifold gasket and hose ends with WD 40 to find the leak will cause the idle to speed up where the squirt is drawn into the leak. :mrgreen:
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
mezuk04a
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04a »

I had this problem with my petrol ZX, kept cutting out in any situation (braking, changing gear, accelerating and such), turned out to be an air leak.

I would drive it for an hour to college, switch the engine off while I had a quick maccies and the car always struggled to start afterwards.
Golf 55' 1.9TD
AlexM

Post by AlexM »

As a quick follow up, turns out it was a dodgy ignition lock...