DIM DIP RELAY LOCATION

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantia93eko

DIM DIP RELAY LOCATION

Post by xantia93eko »

Hi i have read a lot of posts that mention dim dip system on early xantias.I am sure i have a problem with this on my 1993 xantia .The lights always seem to be on half power and then very very rarely they will operate at normal brightness (still not brilliant)and then once the lights are turned off and back on again they go back to dim.I have been told this could be the dim dip relay but cannot find anyone that knows where the relay is located
thanks in advance Dave
THELABMAN
My Cars:

Post by THELABMAN »

I don't think Xantia's have a dim dip headlight system, I'm on my third and none of them has been equiped with it, the first was a 1995 1.9TD SX, the last two are the the one's I have just now.
Citroen C5 2.0 HDI SX Hatchback - 2002 (52)
Xantia Sensation 1.9TD (T) Mallard Green (Gone to the breakers)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've never come across dim dip on a Xantia although that is not to say it is not possible. My 1993 TD does not have dim dip but my father's 1994 Pug 205 has.

The best way to find out is to look for a long aluminium cylinder with three wires exiting it and ending in a normal Citroen-type plug. This is the dim-dip resistor and as it runs warm in use, it'll be somewhere exposed to cooling air in the vicinity of the rad and herein lies its downfall; it gets corroded and the connections fail at the plug. I have one here from a 205 where the plug just felll apart as soon as I touched it in an attempt to clean it.

Best thing, if you do have one, is to do away with it.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Dim-dip only had a short life, it was a legal requirement in the UK from April 1987 to some time in 1988.

It was fitted to some BXs, but the K reg I had didn't have it so I doubt it was fitted to the Xantia.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Judging by the amount of complaints about the performance of Xantia headlights I don't think a dim dip relay would be necessary :lol: or maybe Citroen never worked out how to turn it off :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi, Xantia's dont have dim dip fitted, the sidelight bulb positioning makes it un-neccesary. Well really it has dim everything on the lighting dept.
I did a little rewire on my mk1 xantia, put a couple of relays in, and wired the lights directly from the battery through individual fuses of course. This did make a difference. I did eventually put in 100watt bulbes from halfrauds on the dip side.
Didnt blind anyone or burn any wiring out.
Now I am running my mkII xantia with HID lighting, megga lighting, but had the allignment checked by mot centre and had it dipped a little lower.

Paul
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,