need glow plugs every time

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

need glow plugs every time

Post by citronut »

why is it some BXs/XANTS wont start unless you let the glow plug light go out evedry time you try to start the car, my own cars have never suffered this prob, but i have two or three customers that do
regards malcolm
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Re: need glow plugs every time

Post by XantiaMan »

citronut wrote:why is it some BXs/XANTS wont start unless you let the glow plug light go out evedry time you try to start the car, my own cars have never suffered this prob, but i have two or three customers that do
regards malcolm
I would have thought the answer is obvious and the reason why glow plugs are fitted. DI's will start without glowplugs but IDI's need help apart from in warmer weather.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
deian

Post by deian »

I think it's because the newer cars have higher pressure diesel systems... think tdci, hdi, etc. The pressures are so high that they start without a glow plug.

Obviously a car that has glow plugs fitted need them to warm the air in the cylinder for the diesel to combust at first shot, once the engine starts, the cylce is everlasting as long as the fuel is supplied.

An old workmate of mine couldn't get his head around that a diesel engine only needs diesel and air and that it will literally run forever if fed diesel and air. No spark to control. The diesel engine is pretty superior really, and nowadays getting better than petrol ones (?).
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

I think citronut is comparing like for like engines...not an indirect injection with a direct injection....or that's how I read it. :wink:
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Curious one this - our ZX 1.9D has done 95,000 miles and we've had it since 53,000 and as we've only changed the filetr and the leakoff pipes - is probably it left the factory (ie no new components - even glowplugs.) Start it from cold using the glowplugs - and there is never any need to use them again.

My BX TD at 205,000 always starts first time (like the ZX) but probably turns over 1 more turn before starting (possibly due to the electric advance device not working)- and likes the plugs to be used for most subsequent starts. If I don't use them it will crank over for a few seconds before starting - which I think is while the plugs get hot enough to assist starting. There is a small puff of white smoke.

Both have Roto-Diesel pumps.

I'd put the BX's behaviour down to its extreme age - Its possible wear in the pump retards things a touch and it might even be that advancing it a touch would improve it. It's really a case of leaving well alone.
jeremy
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Td's have a lower compression ratio compared to normally aspirated diesel's so they need the glow plugs to help them start (unless they are direct injection HDi's).
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

my 1.9D BX with 250k on the clock once started in any one day would fire up almost instantly every time for the best part of that same day, but on a virtualy identical 1.9D BX would need to wait for the glow plug light to go out every time before she would start readaly, both cars are normly aspirated
regards malcolm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

In my experience it's all down to compression. This varies with age, general engine condition and the thickness of the head gasket. The speed at which the starter turns the engine is also a factor - starter, battery condition.

I ran a number of vehicles with Perkins 4/108 engines, a very early IDI. they were never easy to start at the best of times, except one. This particular one I had the block reconditioned, bored, pistons, crankshaft reground etc. The pistons sat proud of the top of the block and were supposed to be machined to give a reccomended clearance, they didn't machine them at all so they must have been nearly touching the head. That was the only engine I had that would start without using the 'thermostart' unit.