Radiator - all the same?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RugbyPete

Radiator - all the same?

Post by RugbyPete »

Will a xantia petrol radiator fit a 1.9td?

Thanks
deian

Post by deian »

Personally I would say yes, if the physical dimension are correct. In saying that... remember that a petrol engine will generate more heat compared to a diesel engine, so the radiator might be bigger (in size and cooling output), so if the cooling output is more, then the diesel engine might never warm up sufficiently to run at optimum efficiency. Although in this case the thermostat would be the judge of that.

So thats a yes from me, after all the scientific hoo ha contradictory pro's and con's.
RugbyPete

Post by RugbyPete »

ook, so what about the fixtures, will it physically snap in to place? Or would i need to use cable ties

P.s
Thanks for the lightening response
citroen7
My Cars: 73 stag,86 bx gt 89 bxgti 90 bxgti 4x4 91 metor auto 97 p38 2004 c5 2.0 vtr 2006 c5 estate 1.6

Post by citroen7 »

well if they are the same why are diesel rads more expensive?also there are different fittings during the change over from mk1 to mk2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citroen7 wrote:well if they are the same why are diesel rads more expensive?also there are different fittings during the change over from mk1 to mk2
Generally a diesel rad has more cooling capacity, hence the greater cost.

Early rads have spigot hose connectors (i.e. hoses held on by conventional clips) whereas from about '97 on the bayonet hose connectors were introduced. You could use an earlier rad on a later car and vice versa by swapping top and bottom hoses.

I'm not sure about compatibility of rads between models but I would have thought the 1.9TD rad would fit most. It has mountings at the rear for the intercooler but on a petrol one this would not be an issue.

The only sure compatible items I know are that the 2.1TD and Activa share the same rad, amongst many other items.

It was always thought of as a good cheap cooling upgrade to use a diesel rad on a similar petrol car. A popular thing to do on a Pug 205.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
THELABMAN
My Cars:

Post by THELABMAN »

I'm not sure about petrol/diesel compatability but the place I got the radiator fitted into my 1.9TD sensation last year said that there are three different rads for the 1.9TD coming in slightly different witdh and height and with or without aircon.
Citroen C5 2.0 HDI SX Hatchback - 2002 (52)
Xantia Sensation 1.9TD (T) Mallard Green (Gone to the breakers)
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Xantia rads vary quite a lot, my V6 has both hoses alongside each other, the Activa uses spring clips, the TD has conventional clips, a 1.8 16v has an attached header tank and that's just to start with :?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Although the diesel is more thermally efficient than the petrol driven sensibly, if a diesel is thrashed it starts to run very inefficiently and produces more heat than a petrol engine. Hence the precautionary need for a larger radiator.