ZX fuel pump tuning

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

ZX fuel pump tuning

Post by deian »

Hi guys,

I just want to know how would you guys adjust the idle screw on the bosch ve pump? The screw is quite well hidden behind the pump with a nut locking the screw, what I've done for the time being is move the linkage nut up on the cable holder.

By the way... that main adjustment... the screw with the locking ring on.... I got the ring off, turned it up and believe me the car literally flies off the mark, obviously the fact the idle was up did spoil the experience a little hence the above question.

So out of curiosity, how rugged is the gearbox/drivetrain and engine on the a K reg ZX 1.9Td (no cat)? I don't want anything to go bang. And also, can the rest of the system keep up... i.e cooling? There really is a remarkable difference that you really do need to think of all the consequences, if any of you guys can think of more please let me know.

Thanks
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Courtesy of Haynes: Loosen the anit-stall adjustment lock nut and back off the screw until it's clear of clear of the pump control lever. Loosen the idle screw locknut and set the idle as desired, tighten the locknut.

Insert a 3mm feeler gauge between anit-stall screw and pump lever. (Now here's the funny part) Start the engine and allow it idle, check idle speed and adjust as necessary.

Then it goes on about setting the pump lever damper using a 1mm feeler to set it as a "light sliding fit".

Glad to see you've unleashed more power with a simple tweak but like all things, there has to be a trade-off. With extra fuelling, you'll be encouraging extra heat both at the exhaust and at the inlet. I would hazard a guess that as you're not complaining about black smoke and you're impressed with the power gains, then you've probably not much to worry about.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

MikeT wrote: Glad to see you've unleashed more power with a simple tweak but like all things, there has to be a trade-off. With extra fuelling, you'll be encouraging extra heat both at the exhaust and at the inlet. I would hazard a guess that as you're not complaining about black smoke and you're impressed with the power gains, then you've probably not much to worry about.
With higher boost and fuelling apart from extra smoke coming on boost, i still get good mpg (45mpg mixed) and great performance, and it doesnt even run hot! Get it just right and you can have your cake and eat it!
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
deian

Post by deian »

There is not much black smoke yet, even when I had that screw turned so high the idle had a mind of it's own, I'm sure is more to be had, I reckon if there are massive great plumes of black smoke then you gotta be overfuelling, therefore turn it down. I only tweaked today, so how much more fuel it uses is not an issue at the moment, plus i'm only a few miles from work now.

Thanks for the advice MikeT, problem with the Haynes manual is that it didn't mention the nut is 'behind' the pump which makes it near impossible to get to unless I remove something first (preferably not the pump itself). I'm after techniques to get round this problem. Unless I am looking in the wrong place.

I like the funny part, you'd be there all day if you are a perfectionist.

I must admit though, the extra power makes the first gear obsolete, obviously the mechanicals will strain with so much power. And you'd have to be quick on the box or you run out of engine speed, it's that quick.

Now I see why Audi have made a V12 TDi for the R8!
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

XantiaMan583 wrote:With higher boost and fuelling apart from extra smoke coming on boost, i still get good mpg (45mpg mixed) and great performance, and it doesnt even run hot! Get it just right and you can have your cake and eat it!
Of course, get the right balance of tune and you have little to worry about. My response was more aimed at deian's enquiry into what the negative effects could be. Out of interest, are you measuring your exhaust gases and turbo boost pressure and what figures are you seeing?
deian

Post by deian »

No figures yet. Although I would rather tune the turbo first too. So for the tim being I am going to downtune it a bit.

So moving forwards, can anyone refer me to any articles about boosting the turbo?

Thanks