'98 Xantia Estate LX - Wish Bone / lower Swinging Arm

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Malcolm
My Cars:

'98 Xantia Estate LX - Wish Bone / lower Swinging Arm

Post by Malcolm »

Hi,
My son locked the brakes and took my Xantia up a grass verge at a reasonable speed, offside wheel first.

The o/s wishbone appears to have bent as there is limited clearance between tyre and rear of wheel arch. The result is that the tracking appears to be towing-in.

Has anyone had similar suspension damage? Can this wishbone be bent without further injury? My concerns are that the sub frame pivots may have sustained some adjustment. Nothing appears to have moved / sustained damage.

Any views greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Malcolm :(
Malcolm
'98 Xantia Estate LX - RIP 13/08/16
'08 Renault Trafic 115dci
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi malcolm,

If the wishbone is bent it MUST be replaced. Don't attempt to bend it back as it'll surely fatigue it to the point it'll break. If it does not break bending it back, it'll be a time bomb and very damgerous.

Try a new wishbone and see how it looks. I reckon the wishbone will bend before the mountings do as they're tough. Luckily, if the mountings are distorted, they are part and parcel of the front subframe and the subframe can be replaced.

Check that the impact has not torn the inside out of the "P" bush on the wishbone, thus making it look as if it is bent.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Malcolm
My Cars:

Post by Malcolm »

Thanks for the reply.

I'm quite surprised that a cast iron peice like this has bent and not snapped. Not as brittle as I would believe.

No I certainley wouldn't consider attempting to straighten such, I totally agree on the time bomb ticking, but getting it back to within acceptable tolerances would be impossible - only replacement viable.

I appreciate the comment on the mountings being tough. I'll see if I can pick up a wishbone and see what it's like.
Malcolm
'98 Xantia Estate LX - RIP 13/08/16
'08 Renault Trafic 115dci
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i would also check the track rod as this could be bent as well
regards malcolm