Uneven Pad Wear

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

reservex
My Cars:

Uneven Pad Wear

Post by reservex »

Just changed the pads on my 19TD Estate, all the pads except one were half down. The inboard pad on the near side was worn right down to the sensor triggering a brake service. i would suspect the caliper function on this side, but at the last brake service it was the outboard pad on the off side that had worn out quicker than the others, anyone any ideas?
Thanks
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Uneven pad wear at the front is usually due to not positioning the piston correctly so that the slot in the pad engages with the pin on the back of the pad.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
ok2ucx
My Cars:

Post by ok2ucx »

If your rear brake pads are even worse and if your Xantia is MkII, then you should also check this issue:

http://www.xantiaclub.cz/view.php?nazev ... 2007040002

Well, the article is in Czech, but at least from pictures you can guess that there's frequent corrosion under the brake caliper (). This happened to my XII/1998 too. XI is fine.

Pavel
X2 2.1TD 1998 || Volvo V70 D5 2002 || VW Bug 1966
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

Interesting what rust can do.
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

brake pad wear

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

you may find that the front caliper piston seals are swollen not allowing the pistion to release the pads after you release the brake pedal.
jack up the car and put the front on axle stands remove the road wheels and run the engine in 1st gear now check to see if both hubs are rotating at the same speed. DO NOT BRAKE AT THIS POINT IT WILL DAMAGE THE HUB RETAINNING SCREWS AND YOU WONT BE ABLE TO ALIGN YOUR WHEEL BOLTS IN THE THREADED HOLES.

turn off the engine. if one side rotates slower than the other it may be that your piston seals on the slower side are swolen and need replacing.