Xantia hand brake

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mcgregor
My Cars:

Xantia hand brake

Post by mcgregor »

Hi
Can anyone tell me if replacement of Xantia hand brake cables is a viable DIY job or is it best left to professionals? My nearside one is partially seized and not allowing the handbrake to release properly. I suspect the O/S one will be almost as bad.
Cheers
Dave
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Replacing handbrake cables looks like a right (censored) of a job :twisted:

But, strangey enough, it's dead simple :D The only thing to observe is the how the cables run through the guides, how they are routed back to the compensator and across the hubs and that they are "handed".

Be aware that 2.1TD, Activa and HDi N/S (or LH) handbrake cables are not the same as the other Xantia models and not supplied by GSF. I have an RH GSF one (all RH cables are identical) and a QH LH one. The quality of the QH cable is OK but not a patch on that supplied by GSF.

The BoL even gives a good write-up of how to do it. A wooden block to hold the exhaust heat shiled back to give access to the compensator aids things along nicely and the cable ends just pop out of the compensator with flick of a finger and go back in just as easily.

It looks hard but is in fact one of the easier jobs on a Xantia :lol: :lol:

Just remember to support the front of the car very adequately on ramps or stands before venturing under. Handbrake cables will be the least of your worries if the car collapses on you. Also, don't forget to chock the back wheels!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mcgregor
My Cars:

Post by mcgregor »

Thanks Jim most appreciated.
Dave
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I broke a cable on one of my previous Xantias, and put of changing it as I thought it would be a git. Spent ages messing about fitting a ferrule on the end of the cable to make it work. Failed its MOT after the tester yanked the handbrake on hard and pulled the ferrule off (he was going to fail it anyway I think), so had to bite the bullet and fit a new one. I was really very very surprised when it took <1 hour - and that included pumping up the tyres on my project car, and jacking it off the axle stands! Once you figure out how to get the cable in / out of the compensator behind the exhaust shield it's child's play. Pleasantly surprised :lol:
Richard W
mcgregor
My Cars:

Post by mcgregor »

The reason I asked this question in the first place was that my Haynes manual tells me to remove the exhaust system, gear linkage, Heat shield and all sorts yet you guys tell me none of that is necessary. What on earth are Haynes playing at?
Thanks for your help guys.
Dave
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

mcgregor wrote: What on earth are Haynes playing at?
That's why we call it the BoL (Book Of Lies) Dave :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, no, the exhaust only has to come off if you are contemplating replacing the primary cable from the handbrake lever to the compensator.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

New cables are cheap - £10-£15 each I think. I've got Quinton Hazell ones on my BX as they have a thick plastic cover (like a hose pipe) which prevents the cable chafing in the wire type brackets on the hub.

Previous cables chafed at this point and the outer cable wore through entirely - wrecking the cable.

Binding a section of garden hose over a plain cable might achieve the same result.

The BX doesn't have the first cable from the lever - just the compensator - but even so I was warned by an expert that it was a horrible job - but having done it I'd say it was one of the easier ones I've done on the car - entirely straight forward and problem free with little or no additional dismantling - just make sure you get the route right and don't miss a bracket.
jeremy
mcgregor
My Cars:

Post by mcgregor »

Thanks for the help guys. My problem now is to locate a LH cable for a 2001 HDI 110. GSF do not stock them and my local Partco are on about different gearboxes having different LH cables. I don't suppose anyone has the QH part no that I require have they?
Cheers
Dave
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Dave,

QH part No MBC7425. This is for the LH 2.1TD and Activa but they'll be the same for the HDi

RH is MBC7195. Same for all Xantias

On-Line catalogue here:

http://www2.qha.com/catalogues/ZM11B.pdf
Jim

mcgregor
My Cars:

Post by mcgregor »

Brilliant. Thanks a lot Jim much appreciated.
Dave