£ 150 to fit clutch sound reasonable

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tdolman

£ 150 to fit clutch sound reasonable

Post by tdolman »

I bought a genuine citroen clutch off ebay a while ago with the intention of doing it myself however today I happened to be talking to a mechanic who said he would fit if for me for £150 sounded pretty good to me as I didnt really fancy a weekend on my back in the garage. What do you all reckon good price or should I still fit it myself ?
slim123

Post by slim123 »

£150 To fit aint at all bad.

But then I would guess that it's a cash job rather than done at a garage? so it would be cheaper as he has no overheads. As long as he knows what he is doing I cant see a problem.

Do yourself a favour though and get yourself a couple of driveshaft seals and ask him to replace these in the final drive whilst the gearbox is off, it will only take a couple of minutes and save a lot of hassle as they normally leak when disturbed. Also a couple of litres of gearbox oil to refill would help.

Regards
Slim.
tdolman

Post by tdolman »

thanks slim

It is a propper garage job with a reciept and everything. and he seemed to know what he was odoing and he was recomended.

Thanks for the info on the driveshaft seals, ive got new piviot arm bushes and release bearing guide bush which he will also be fittin so a couple of driveshaf seals shouldnt be a problem

Cheers
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

hi TD
I have done 2 or 3.. I would say yes good deal for you and him.. I would be happy to do one for that as need some cash :) but even if you know what your doing its 4-7 hours and generally a git job...

a garage charging 40 an hour, 300 quid all in.. ?

i charge 10-15 an hour generally although its hardly worth it for the conditions i work in etc.. based on that I probably would have qouted you 100. 150 is more worthwhile though..

John
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i only charge £150, and i belive its ment to be 1 litre of gear oil so long as the box dose not rotate round on its self so the diff is a lot lower than the main body of the gear box
regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

If I lived near you Malcolm, you'd have me as a customer for a clutch change on my 1.9TD :D £150 for the work involved is a bargain :lol: :lol: Is that just labour or parts as well?

In fact I'm going to start replacing my clutch this weekend, along with a new cable and clip. Wish me luck :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bigjl2
My Cars:

Clutch change

Post by bigjl2 »

citronut wrote:i only charge £150, and i belive its ment to be 1 litre of gear oil so long as the box dose not rotate round on its self so the diff is a lot lower than the main body of the gear box
regards malcolm
How far are you from the dartford tunnel, I have been quoted just under £340 by mr clutch, for the clutch in my 1994 1.9td, but I would rather have the job done by a citroen enthusiast. The car is still driving, but starting to slip, if you would be able to fit it in that would be great it also has a leak from the water pump so i was going to get the cambelt done aswell, is that something that you could do aswell, look forward to hearing from you, Justin. I really need to get back in my veggie wagon as I am currently doing all my miles in a 2.5 v6 omega estate, the word juicy is an understatement.
Xantia 2.0SX estate (now sold)
Xantia 1.9 TD SX hatch 102K (all old MOT'S) and working A/C.(Sold to forum member, time to save for a C5)
2007 Berlingo Multispace 1.4i Forte, bought in November with genuine 27k miles, now on 39799 miles.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

dont forget me Bigil... !! :D assuming Malcolm cant do it..

I have done 3 in recent times.. £150 is fine and I am close to you, I do a good job.

John
bigjl2
My Cars:

clutch

Post by bigjl2 »

I will be happy if anybody can help me out to be honest John, I live in purfleet, essex to be exact, my opinion is if I have to spend money on the car I would rather keep it in the forum, and my car is too nice to scrap, 102k from new with loads of history, working aircon and every old MOT. The fact it runs on veg oil is just a small bonus. There isn't much needed on my car to make it perfect but I would like to get it completely sorted out eventually.
Xantia 1.9 TD SX hatch 102K (all old MOT'S) and working A/C.(Sold to forum member, time to save for a C5)
2007 Berlingo Multispace 1.4i Forte, bought in November with genuine 27k miles, now on 39799 miles.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

ok Justin no probs fully understand.

If you get hold of the correct clutch I can do it on a sat/sun.. (some Xant clutches are push and some pull, think TD's are all pull type but do check)

It would be better for me if you have a bit of drive space or a garage as I am a little stuck where I live right now. I have everything else needed.

J
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

im the hasting end of the A21, it also would depend on if you could leave the car with me for about three days if you were hopping to get everything done as one job, the way to tell wether you have a pull or push clutch, if you look at the gear box end of the cable you will see if the outer cable is conected to the release fork arm and the inner is fitted to a fixed bracket, this is the pull type
regards malcolm

ps.
it seems by the respons this post has got i am not charging enough, no wounder the kids are starving and i have holes in my shoes
bigjl2
My Cars:

Post by bigjl2 »

The complication is that I have nowhere for work to be done outside my house, and my garage has no power and is full of junk, it isn't next to the house either for some reason, if I had bought the house which was cheaper it would not have had a garage but had off street parking where my kitchen is, if that makes any sense, almost like a garage without a back wall or a front door, well it makes sense to me, and because it is a newbuild they won't let you do work outside your house, it is set down in the covenants, bl@@dy planners.
And to think up till now I couldn't find a mechanic that was prepared to work on a Citroen.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

ok Justin..

well I should be ok to do it where I am.. just means you need to wait while i do it.. hmmm

Do you like country walks :)