ABS Bolt sheared off

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wrinklet1
My Cars:

ABS Bolt sheared off

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi all,
I was replacing my abs sensor on the front nearside of my xantia.
The bolt came out ok apart from being tight.
Then the ABS Bolt sheared off!!! :shock:
about 2mm showing.
So.... How can I get it out because it was tight going in

Answers please on a postcard

Paul
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

:cry:

It's a miserable bolt that shears going back in Paul :evil:

I wonder if the hole had a bit of oil or something in the bottom after cleaning and you've hydrolocked the bolt going back in and it's sheared because of this. I'm assuming it's the 10mm one that secures the ABS sensor and it does not take a lot to shear them.

With 2mm showing, I'd firstly try to carefully file it to a hex and then tap on a slightly undersize small socket. It may work but if it does not, then drilling out is your only recourse. Luckily, the bolt material is soft and access is good. Do ensure you drill bang on centre. With luck you won't have to fully drill before the remains give up the fight and come out.

You may need to clean up the thread with a tap when you've got the remains out.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The method I usually use to remove broken/rounded bolts, is to weld a nut on to whats left, works a treat, assuming you can do it without setting fire to anything.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

or if there is nothing near you might set light to heat it up with a blow torch the you might be able to remove it with molegrips,

dose this fixing point have a blind hole which the thread is tapped into then, if not and all elss fails you might be able to drill staight through and put a nut and bolt in
regards malcolm
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Okay, its the bolt that holds the ABS sensor to the strut that has sheared off. About 2mm ot thredded bolt is visible and I would guess about 5mm has gone into the hole. I cant get mole grips onto the bolt because there isnt enough visible!!!!
I dont have access to a welding kit so cant weld a bolt or nut onto it!
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

cut a slot across it, heat it up then use a screw driver to un do????

regards malcolm
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

The welder is the answer, it really would be best if you could find a way to get access to one. I had three of my rear calliper bolts shear on my Xantia, two of them below the surface. It took several goes but my friend managed to get them all out by welding nuts on. The heat generated by the welder helps too.

Once the bolt is out it would be a good idea to clean up the threads with a tap.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I'd try Malcolm's method first providing there's enough room to get a hacksaw in to cut the slot.

Otherwise I'd drill it very carefully, However careful you are you're very unlikely to get the centre and be able to drill the thing exactly straight - so as you increase the drill size you will break through the bolt to the socket somewhere. This has the effect of removing the tension from the bolt and allowing it to contract and it'll probably come out easily then on something like a file handle or the tapered sides of a screwdriver.

Easy outs (tapered coarse threaded screw like things with a reverse thread) are an acquired taste - some times working, sometimes breaking - leaving you in a worse predicament than you are at the moment.

I had a sensor off my BX yesterday - looked like it was the first time the bolt had been out in 18 1/2 years - and the thing had a thread locking glue on the bottom end of it - which means that it doesn't screw in easily and the temptation is to use force on it - which in turn means that you won't feel if you have crossed the thread. I'd run a tap down the hole in your case - but you'll need a 'T' type handle rather than the 2 handled holders supplied with most sets.

As an alternative to the tap you could try cutting a slot in a bolt of the correct size or longer which would make an improvised tap which may clean the thread adequately. The slot would be cut down the shaft from the threaded end - about 1/2 inch is probably adequate and the thing is used by winding it a bit forward, then back a bit and so on.
jeremy