K-Seal and suspected matrix leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

K-Seal and suspected matrix leak

Post by MikeT »

Since I've had this car (8000 miles +) I've had to top up the coolant due to a leak. I've never identified the problem but suspected the radiator as it had tell-tale green corrosion staining. (Oddly enough, no matter how long I leave it, I've never had to add more than between a half and one litre of coolant at one time).

However, after a few miles of driving recently, I noticed a familiar smell in my car one cold morning (presumably at the point of the thermostat opening) and suspected the worse - heater matrix. The passenger footwell carpet was indeed damp though that could also be due to the windshield scuttle seal failing (I had to bodge-seal it with silicone sealant last summer following a heater blower failure).

I've never been a fan of radiator sealants in a bottle as, by design, their nature is to cause blockages but having read about K-seal and weighing up the alternatives, I decided to take the risk.

It's been a few weeks and several hundred miles later and I'm happy to report the smell has not recurred and the coolant has not required topping up, although the carpet is still just as damp.

So, at this point in time, I would recommed K-seal to anyone with an old low-value car (like mine) but I still hold reservations about any possible negative restrictions to the coolant circulation it may cause.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yep i have the same thoughts on coolant sealers, and a few months ago i tried K seal i knew it was my rad leaking but could not afford a new one at that time, i decided as it was the rad leaking it would be best to get the K seal straight into the rad rather than wait for uit to go through the normal in route, i disconected the top hose from the thermostate housing and poured it in through the hose, within a few seconds it stopped leaking, but even though it dose say you can use it with antifreeze i did not put any in so my leak came back with a vengance as soon as we had a very heavy frost,

before i used the K seal i was putting about 1 litre of water in every second day, when it went again i was putting between 2 and 4 litres in every time i went to use the car
regards malcolm
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Glad K-Seal has done the job for you. I got mine a bit cheaper off ebay. It's worth the expense everytime!
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Malcolm, are you telling us you're running without corrosion inhibitors? I added mine to the expansion tank and idled the car until the fans cut in. I could practically smell when it was taking effect, it was so quick acting. They do say to leave it in the system for life as it'll automatically seal any further leaks as they occur.

Gareth, how much did you pay? I got mine off ebay too for £8 incl P&P. I wouldn't say it has worked for me, just that has worked for now.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

MikeT wrote:
Gareth, how much did you pay? I got mine off ebay too for £8 incl P&P. I wouldn't say it has worked for me, just that has worked for now.
LOL you really are a pessimist! :P

I paid about £8 quid too. I know someone who used it when their block cracked on an XUD, its still holding 3 years later!
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Interesting to note that I have been told by several now that Valeo are actually recommending using these sealants when new matrix etc are fitted.
I've used it on all my cars as a piece of "preventative maintenance" as I have seen the BX matrix up close and it is really a thing that works on a wing and a prayer and as regard not using coolant, well that's being a bit optomistic I suppose, but having said that, it has also been suggested that these mixes coat the insides of the head, block and other components with a skin and as a result, corrosion can't attack the metals; possibly correct.
For the sceptics; I have driven my cars for the past few years with this stuff in (I used Barr's Leaks by the way) in temps often in the mid 40s and in one case, fully loaded over a 2000 klms round trip where the temp never got below 43 but did at one stage hit 50 with air con on all the time and not once did my car look like overheating, so I doubt you guys would have problems unless of course there was a pre existing cooling problem to start with.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i did not leave antifreeze out intentionaly, i was just relucktant to put it in until i knew i had stopped the leak,

also i cant see K seal would fix a heater matrix going in the way i have seen the BX/XANTIA matrix go were the end comes away

i certainly would only recomend these leak sealers out of desparation,
regards malcolm
Burly Chassis

Post by Burly Chassis »

It's been a week since K-Seal fixed the matrix on one of our Xantia estates, just need it to hold till the summer!

So, thumbs up so far...