Xantia gear box.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Historyman

Xantia gear box.

Post by Historyman »

I have just bought a V reg Xantia Estate 1.8 and it has a problem with the gear box IE it is stuck in gear although the gear stick seems to go through the motions. It will free wheel with the clutch dipped. Has any one got any idea what could be wrong. A gear linkage worn or broken perhaps :?:

As it only cost me 0ne hundred pounds and the rest of the car inside and out is in VG condition I would like to get it back on the road., so any help Will be much appreciated.........Ron
Last edited by Historyman on 06 Feb 2008, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.
2000 Citroen Xantia 2.0I Exclusive.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

We had one that threw a bit of a mickey a few months back on a 2.0i.
It was one of my sons who rang on his mobile telling us he could find only one gear so was driving but couldn't stop and was about 70 miles from home at the time (fortunately we live out in the bush a bit, so not much traffic.)
We eventually had to wait at the gate and open them (12 foot wide) when he came down the road and drove straight in and stopped near the garage.
Turned out to be a large rubber grummet in the centre of the gear linkage had gone rotten and fallen out due to an oil leak he had at the main bearing seal but never got around to fixing, so I'd suggest the linkages might be a good starting point.
Linkages usually work on a strange set up of one moving the "gate" og the lever whilst the other selects and I'd reckon the gate selector lever is the culprit.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
Historyman

Post by Historyman »

Many thanks Alan :D will get some one to have a look for me.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

historyman good luck :)

you payed 100 for a xantia estate exclusive? did well ;)

John
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, a great deal :D The gearbox problem is almost invariably linkages as the internal gear selection mechanism within the 'box is built like a battleship; it really is over-engineered.

I'll almost wager one of the balljointed linkage arms has popped off the gear selector rods coming out of the gearbox. The one nearest the exhaust is the first suspect as it gets hot and dries out the grease in it. Eventually the nylon insert gives up and the rod jumps off the ball...

If not linkages, the only thing that might cause this is a broken synchro cone spring although when these go they usually just cause crunchy gears...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Historyman

Post by Historyman »

Thank's every one. It has been standing for 3 months and after charging up the flat battery it started firs turn of the key. :shock: It ran as sweet as a nut. :D Now to get it sorted out and a MOT on it.......Ron.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi Historyman,
same thing happend to my Xantia and it is the gear linkage. Go to citroen and they sell the rod that has most probably gone for about £14. Your car may have a linkage that has screw threads on it. The new one wont. Dont worry is will fit ok. Citroen reckon its because of spilling the 'green fluid of death' onto the rubber over the years that causes the linkage to go.
Easy job to do though.

Paul
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
Historyman

Post by Historyman »

Thank's for the info Paul. :D Will let you all know how I get on..........Ron
Historyman

Post by Historyman »

I had a play around with it this morning to find out what gear it is stuck in by keeping the hand break on. It was reverse. Now it will drive back wards and for wards on the drive way with the occasional clicking sound from the gear box.It also makes the same sounds when in neutral...Ron.
Historyman

Post by Historyman »

Taking it to the Citroen Mechanic on Monday. :roll: If the it can't be fixed, he has a spare gear box for it. :)
Historyman

Post by Historyman »

I managed to get the gears working, don't ask me how. :roll: I got it to the Citroen mechanic this morning, as there was a bad smell of clutch burning and a horrible grating sound when the clutch was engaged.

I am now waiting a report to tell me if it is the clutch or gearbox that is shot away.......Ron.
Historyman

Post by Historyman »

Looks like it was not the bargain buy after all. Just spent #600.00 to have a second hand gear box and a new clutch fitted and on the road test found out that it needs an other #600.00 spent on it as both rear callipers and disks are shot away. Broken bolts both sides. :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Historyman wrote:on the road test found out that it needs an other #600.00 spent on it as both rear callipers and disks are shot away. Broken bolts both sides. :(
:shock:

No way it should cost that much. Although it's a bit of a job to get the broken bolts out, even if you need new calipers, pads and discs the job should not be that expensive.

Have a look at http://www.gsfcarparts.com for an idea of costs.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Historyman

Post by Historyman »

Jim it's the labour charges, He is a citroen mechanic who runs his own business and he gets all his parts from Citroen. :(
Historyman

Post by Historyman »

Just an update, the car went straight through it's MOT :D Now to getit taxed.