Should i go 100% oil?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RugbyPete

Should i go 100% oil?

Post by RugbyPete »

My citroen started up this morning better than it did on diesel. I slapped in 12 litres of veg oil when there was about 8 litres of diesel already in there. My question is, do you think i can got 100% with 1litre of unleaded in there also
It's quite mild this week, cold mainly coming from wind chill not temperature drops producing ice

I was thinking the best test would be to keep adding oil as the week goes on until performance or starting becomes a problem, diluting it gradually with veg oil until its near to or gets to 100%

Wosrt comes to worse i cant start in the morning, best get-out plan?
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

This time of year, I wouldnt go 100%, maybe keep to 12L vegi and 8L Diesel. Adding a litre or two of petrol wont do any harm except that it may make the car run a bit hotter, it will though, clean the cylinders and injectors for you.
Paul
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

This time of year, I wouldnt go 100%, maybe keep to 12L vegi and 8L Diesel. Adding a litre or two of petrol wont do any harm except that it may make the car run a bit hotter, it will though, clean the cylinders and injectors for you.
Paul
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

colder tonight Pete.. not to bad tho..

I put 45L oil and had about 10 L Drev at weekend,, runs fine..

a starting problem came back to haunt me this am :( nothing to do with SVO i am now 100% about that :)

John
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

IMHO, no, not so soon, just to rule out any running issues. I ran 5k before i started doing 100%. It will hunt on start up and should not be idled for too long aswell because it doesnt combust aswell as a diluted mix.

Keep it 50/50 for now until the warmer weather is here.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

I was running 50-50 oil, diesel but my ZX TD doesn't seem to like starting with that mix :(

The engine starts after a double heat cycle but it kicks out a big cloud of smoke & seems to be running on 3 for a few seconds, obviously starting the car with a bit of throttle on gets rid of the roughness a bit quicker.

Once the engine is started it seems to run just as good on 50 -50 as pure diesel.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
tdolman

Post by tdolman »

I've been pondering the same question recently, I currently run on 50 -50 but have increased lately to about 60 - 40 with no problems whatsoever.

So with my last purchase of 300 1l bottles from the cash and carry at 0.55p per liter I decided to do an experement and put one bottle in the freezer and one on our central heating boiler, the boiler bottle reached + 22 deg celsius and the freezer bottle reache MINUS 7 deg.

Now there was a definate difference in viscosity, as I swished the thermometer around in the bottles there was no resistance at all in the boiler bottle but there was a "reasonable" amount of resistance from the freezer bottle. then I put a few drops of oil from each bottle on an inclined surface to see how each flowed whilst there was a difference it was nowhere near as much as I thought it would be. (i quess that the -7 deg oil would have started warming up immediately it came out of the bottle though)

CONCLUSION.
Still undecided, i was suprised at how fluid the oil was at -7 (i would think it unlikely to get down th this temp in the tank ?) but ther was a definate difference, so I have decided to stay on 60/40 for now but am going to put a bottle of diesel in the freezer so can compare oil to diesel. will let uou know how it goes.

Anyone else done anything similar ? if so what conclusions did you come to?

Cheers

Tim