Confused over veg oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

flygirl767

Confused over veg oil

Post by flygirl767 »

Hi Guys. What is all this about Vegetable oil? I run a Xantia 1.9TD (1994 - L Reg). Do you mean to say I can empty my chip pan into the tank and just drive way? Any information would be gratefully received. One post was talking about Tesco vegetable Oil! Wow - this is amazing! Do I have to retune or play around with anything (well, not me actually, but a man).
Love, Michelle
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

Hi Michelle, do a search on here for "veg oil". You'll find info here and useful links to other sites.

In short, there is veg oil brought from the shop (unused), known as SVO. And waste veg oil (WVO), from your chip pan. SVO can be used straight out of the container; WVO needs filtering to remove particles and processing to remove fatty acids, water, etc.

If your car has a bosch diesel pump you can pour SVO straight in! If you have a lucas pump beware. Many people run 100% veg oil but this tends to get a bit thick in cold weather. People often either top up with diesel or use 5% unleaded petrol to thin SVO.

New SVO users report clogged fuel filters as the veg oil tends to drag rubbish up from the bottom of the fuel tank. Other users, me included, do not get this problem.

Our ever-loving HM Revenue & Customs have allowed a personal allowance of 2,500 litres a year without paying fuel duty. And this is only because so many individuals registered with them as fuel providers (to pay duty) that they couldn't cope with the money collection!

That's about it. Buy the cheapest and thinnest veg oil you can get and dump it in the tank...

Dave
Pug Rifter long (20) - 41mpg - Gutsy for a 1.5!
Xantia 1.9 TD Temp.2 Break (97) - 208K@42mpg - Resting again.
Berlingo Multispace 1.6 16v (51) - 184K@36mpg - My shed! Still runs 15° retarded...
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

flygirl767,
If you buy 10L of vegi oil from tesco or wherever, pour it into your fuel tank and put about 15L of diesel in too. works out a lot cheaper and works ok. if you use oil that you have cooked with, you will have to filter it to remove and bits out of the oil.

Paul
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,