Are spheres interchangeable?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete the bus
My Cars:

Are spheres interchangeable?

Post by pete the bus »

Hi everyone,
Are all spheres the same? Can I interchange them?
Thanks for any help
Peter
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

In a word NO.

Different pressures, volumes and damping rates (that come from the size of the hole the fluid has to pass in and out of).

Accumulator and anti sink spheres are different again.

Could you be more specific?
pete the bus
My Cars:

Post by pete the bus »

I have 2 xantia estates, 1 for spares. The "good" car needs new spheres for the front, main accumulator, and anti-sink. The only decent spheres on the spare car are the front and rear ones. I will change the front ones over, but was wondering if i could use the rear ones on the spare to replace the main accumulator and anti-sink on the good car....
hope this makes sense ???
Regards
Peter
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The accumulator sphere needs higher pressure than the rear wheel spheres initially are charged with.

The acc sphere is charged with 62bar.
The rear wheel spheres some 40bar.
- when they are new and have not lost any pressure.

Brand new boxed spheres are only some £22 from GSF. Its not worth the hassle replacing with unknown quality spheres.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

pete the bus wrote:I have 2 xantia estates, 1 for spares. The "good" car needs new spheres for the front, main accumulator, and anti-sink. The only decent spheres on the spare car are the front and rear ones. I will change the front ones over, but was wondering if i could use the rear ones on the spare to replace the main accumulator and anti-sink on the good car....
hope this makes sense ???
Regards
Peter
Absolutely not - you can't use a suspension sphere (which has a damper valve in it) as an accumulator sphere - the damper valve will interfere with the pressure smoothing properties of the sphere, causing rapid pressure fluctuations as the pump operates.

Likewise you can't fit any other kind of sphere in place of an anti-sink sphere because anti-sink spheres have a unique threaded pipe fitting in the neck of the sphere which other spheres don't have - you'll find it impossible to screw in. :lol:

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive