Tesco turbo diesel fuel injector cleaner

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

XantiaMan
My Cars:

Tesco turbo diesel fuel injector cleaner

Post by XantiaMan »

Bought some of this last week and ran it through a veg/diesel mix, its under £3 quid for a bottle and treats a tankful.

I put the whole bottle in for half a tank anyway and after 100 miles or so i noticed a big cloud of brown/grey soot a few times, now its clean! Note this was deliberate foot to the floor to clear the system out. I don't see the point running it gently if using a system cleaner as it wont do its job properly.

I can only suspect it has cleaned the system to some extent. I've seen the same soot come out before when i used a dose of acetone..

Since the cleaner i have noticed a small performance difference, more responsive as a whole, so i would definatly recommend it as its even cheaper than Redex fuel system cleaner (about £3.60 in Asda) and i think its a wise move when running veg, a bottle of this every other tankful should keep it in good condition.

Gareth
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Was that Tesco Finest or Tesco Value injector cleaner Gareth ?

That's a good price. I was shocked when I saw how much the Redex stuff is at our local factors.

I'll get a bottle next time I go shopping...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the guy who works at the local LSUK diesel shop recons these addatives do damage in the long teerm as they are abrasive, would you not get a similar result with just a mexican tune up (good blast in second 2 or 3 times)
regards malcolm
Brian UK
My Cars:

Post by Brian UK »

citronut wrote:the guy who works at the local LSUK diesel shop recons these addatives do damage in the long teerm as they are abrasive, regards malcolm
Never heard that one before.
Brian.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I've discussed this in depth with friends.
Our opinion now is that the modern ones are alright, but in the past you were playing with fire.
We all use the comma one which is £5 a shot.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

citronut wrote:the guy who works at the local LSUK diesel shop recons these addatives do damage in the long teerm as they are abrasive, would you not get a similar result with just a mexican tune up (good blast in second 2 or 3 times)
regards malcolm
I do it every day, except Italian style! I do drive my car hard on occasions and its only when i've added a cleaner to the system i've noticed the soot coming out.

On an older style engine with a number of miles i cannot see it doing any harm, especially when running SVO, as the injectors were not designed for such fuel. It's cheaper than getting the injectors cleaned properly and far less hassle, at my mileage it would not be worth getting them cleaned as they really need replacing, but keeping them peridocially cleaned must have some benefit.

Gareth
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RugbyPete

Post by RugbyPete »

I tried the same stuff.

Bad mpg was all I got unlike the wynns fuel cleaner from halfords which gave good mpg and response was great, it also solved my poor starting problems.