Just how good are these cars?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

citrojim wrote:
Xac wrote:Will have to compare cars along the A5 sometime Jim :wink:
Yes, the 1.9 v 2.1 Shootout. It needs to be done. A standing start from Stacey Bushes slip road up to the Old Stratford Roundabout perhaps :lol:

I chased you driving Dex along the Finmere bypass many moons ago in my Activa. It seemed to me to be a close-run thing...

We need some HDi owners to cast their opinion now...
I think it should wait 'til Cassy gets her gearbox replaced, wouldn't want a missed 3rd to spoil her chances.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

HDi, someone asked.

Now my view comes to you without prior experience of the 1.9 or 2.1. The only other diesel I have had was a Renault Laguna with the old 85bhp 2.2 non-turbo. That was clattery, unresponsive and pretty dire.

My Xantia has the 110 HDi and I cannot fault the engine. Excellent economy of course. It's responsive too, not like a petrol car though, there is no shoving you back in your seat but it's relentless. Can soon be pulling three figures without knowing how you quite got there. 70mph comes at 2250rpm on mine. It just has so much torque (184 ft/lb going by official figures, which is fairly impressive I guess when you consider I had a 2.5 V6 Vectra pulling 169 ft/lb - even with the fact diesels produce more torque naturally) It goes up through the gears with no fuss and when your in 5th you are sat on the power band, put your foot down and overtaking is no problem.

With regards to the 6th gear, I wonder how the HDi would be with that. I would quite like one for the sole purpose to see how it affects mpg.

Thats my view anyway, am sure there will be a few to argue with me though :)
philipte

Post by philipte »

I've never had a 2.1, but I did have a BX TD some years back. I thought it was pretty quick at the time, but was always aware that if you caught it off boost it could be pretty dire until the turbo spooled up.
Since then I've had a Xantia Hdi 110, and for the last six years a C5 estate with the 110 HDi and a Superchips remap. (I used to post here as Sir Clive but changed my ISP and can't seem to alter my details so have had to re-register!!)
Compared to the XUD, the HDi is, as Toby says relentless-it just keeps on pulling seamlessly, you don't have to wait for the turbo to come in. It's very easy to find yourself travelling at illegal three figure speeds without realising it :oops:
I also tried some BP ultimate diesel fuel recently, excellent stuff and certainly seems to make the engine run very smoothly.
I don't think it would disgrace itself along the Finmere bypass, despite its 108 thousand miles :lol:
jonnydrumm1967
My Cars:

Post by jonnydrumm1967 »

My 205 D Turbo 1.8 can hold a xantia 110 Hdi from 30 to 100MPH. It's fantastic really,I don't know how this one goes so well,can put it down to being driven hard from day one. My other 205 with the same engine is not as quick at all and my 1.9 TD Xantia is pretty poor by comparison,even after de catting and EGR by pass.
Mind you the 205s weigh as much as an empty fag packet but have only 78 brake to offer,but 116 lb ft.
Had a BX TZD Turbo,was a joy to pilot,fast and responsive.
It's all down to power to weight and gearing I suppose, they're all excellent cars.
2000 XANTIA HDi 110 SX Est
1992 205 GTI TD
1996 DISCOVERY TDI
2001 XANTIA HDi LX
1991 205 D Turbo
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

I was told once that the lucas pumps in 1.8's was nicely tweaked / or different in some way..

certainly my old 309 felt pretty nippy.. like you say though, gearing may have played a part..
deian

Post by deian »

like jonnydrum says... it's all down to power:weight ratio! Think of all the specifications that each individual car has, this is what makes one persons zx td faster than the others zx td, and why theoretically a basic zx td should whip the ass off a fully kitted xantia 1.9td vsx, etc etc... of course we all know that, just thought i'd point it out anyway