bio diesel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kevino
My Cars: i have a c5 vtr which i love.
Ive had, visa GT, 2cv, dyane, BX X 5, 2x xsaras, mark 1&2.

bio diesel

Post by kevino »

hi everyone I have a Xantia 1.9td, I was wondering what is "svo" and how do I use it in my Xantia? and could I go to a supermarket and buy their cheapest vegetable oil and use it in my tank or do i have to do something to it to get it to work without damaging my car.
Kev
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Hi Kev.

I currently run amongst other vehicles, a Xantia 1.9td, this runs fine on about a 50/50 mix of std diesel and the cheapest cooking oil I can find.

In the summer months I tend to use more cooking oil in the mix and have even run it on neat cooking oil without any problems whatsoever. Smells like a mobile chippy, but I can put up with that.

A lot of people will tell you not to put it in if you have a Lucas pump and injectors, as it has been known to cause pump problems, Both mt diesel cars have Bosch systems so I cannot realy comment on this.

No modifications needed, just check the fuel system type first, Lucas tends to have a more flat topped pump with tall injectors, whilst Bosch has a lot of bits attached to the pump top, and short stubby injectors.

As for servicing, well it's cobblers shoes!! I never seem to have the time to do my own, so they tend to lack a bit in servicing, but when I do get around to it, every bit that comes off just looks normal, I have never found any muck or gunge in the fuel filters and I guess that in the Xantia I must have done around 40'000 miles trouble free on cooking oil / diesel mix.

Now for prices. Untill recently cooking oil has been around 40 - 50p per litre depending on where you buy from, but recently it has shot up to around 75p per litre and shops are stocking bigger containers of it. They must know what it is being used for and they also know that as long as it is cheaper that diesel, it will sell.

I am going to pop into one of the local cash and carry warehouses, the sort of place where chippys get it from and see if it is any cheaper, I would suggest that you do the same if you decide to run on it.

Regards
Slim.
marsalek
My Cars: Xantia X2 HDi109
C5 X7 HDi240

Post by marsalek »

Kevin, just wanted to warn you: bio diesel is not the same as vegetable oil. The first one may be more dangerous! If I had 1.9 TD with Bosch pump, I would certainly add some veg. oil, but not bio diesel...

Karel
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

Kevin,

The biggest issue you will have is getting it into the tank without making a mess. As slim said, prices of veggie have shot up recently so bulk buying a-la Chip Shop is recommended.

Gammy
Brian UK
My Cars:

Post by Brian UK »

marsalek wrote:Kevin, just wanted to warn you: bio diesel is not the same as vegetable oil. The first one may be more dangerous! If I had 1.9 TD with Bosch pump, I would certainly add some veg. oil, but not bio diesel...

Karel
Agreed, bio is not the same as SVO.
The issue with bio-diesel is the additive used to break down the vegetable oil, This can rot rubber, hence the issues with seals in pumps. (It can also rot tyres if allowed to drip on them).
My understanding is that the Bosch pumps are more resistant to bio than the Lucas ones.
Brian.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I've been running on SVO for about a year now, 100% except when it's icy or I need a diesel VAT reciept to claim expenses.

Cassy's just passed her MoT with flying colours, and the smoke results were very low (though the test centre didn't give me any print outs).

SVO is much thicker than diesel, so will draw up any gunk that is in the fuel tank for the fuel filter to catch, so replace this after about 500 miles with a new filter.

I also bung in some redex now and again before filling with SVO (as it sits on top of SVO if you pour it in after)

Make sure your glow plugs are in tip top condition, and if you have trouble starting, give them two cycles.
Don't let the car idle after starting on a cold day, I normally rest my foot on the accelerator to bring the revs up to about 1200rpm.
Once the engine and fuel warm up, it idles fine.

If you use more than 2500L a year, you must inform HMRC and pay them the duty on every L you use over 2500, I think it's around 54ppl now, so with diesel round here being about 108ppl and veg being 70ppl, after 2500L it would be cheaper to revert back to derv.
You also should keep "simple" records of the amount of veg you use. I'm sure you can see the flaws in this if it ever came to HMRC trying to prove someone used more than 2500L, but they made the rules.
2500L should do just over 20K miles, saving over £1,000 a year - enough to buy two more Xantias!

Forgot to mention! SVO is straight vegetable oil, the sort you buy off the shelf in tesco.
WVO is waste vegetable oil, it's what you can register and collect from chip shops etc, however this is a lot of hassle as I believe once you register, you HAVE to take all their WVO.
Also, unlike SVO, WVO should not be poured into the fuel tank.
It contains debris from the items fried, acids and water which will do your car no good. WVO therefore should be refined into biodiesel, which itself is not very nice, though in the process you do make a lot of soap.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

marsalek wrote:Kevin, just wanted to warn you: bio diesel is not the same as vegetable oil. The first one may be more dangerous! If I had 1.9 TD with Bosch pump, I would certainly add some veg. oil, but not bio diesel...

Karel
Go on explain what you mean? I have used WVO, straight Veg and Bio-diesel without too many problems, although each has its on peculiarities.
The only problem I've had with bio-diesel is that it seems less resistant to the cold in the winter.

Regards
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

What some places call Bio-Diesel is something i wouldn't even risk putting in my Xantia its that bad and full of chemicals/water and crud....

Some dont even filter past 20micron!
kevino
My Cars: i have a c5 vtr which i love.
Ive had, visa GT, 2cv, dyane, BX X 5, 2x xsaras, mark 1&2.

svo thanks

Post by kevino »

hello everybody,
my Xantia is now running on 75% svo i only had a small problem my car lost power and stopped but i primed the pump and away we went again. I bought the svo in 1 litre bottles from tesco, 56pence per litre (pura). I think I shall change the fuel filter in the next few days.
Many thanks to everyone for the information that got me running on svo, I can't wait untill summer I will be going 100% SVO.

Cheers kevin o
smokegetsinyereyes
My Cars:

Bio diesel

Post by smokegetsinyereyes »

A few weeks ago I ran my 19TD Xantia on bio, It seemed to run a bit better, I ran a full tank through her. The problem with Bio diesel seems to be what your actually buying, it dosen't tell you at the pumps. You could get any variation of mix ie: 5% up to 100%, Im led to believe that in europe they allready run a 5% mix at all diesel pumps, the stuff I used was 10% blend ie: 10% veggie oil 90% deisel. Also the greater the mix the more chance it has of waxing in cold weather, unless its Sunflower oil.
The price where I got mine was 88p litre, I normally fill up around every 2weeks across the border into Co Donegal (normal diesel) which at the moment costs 121 Euro (around the 80 somthing pence in real money)
So at the moment it's hardly worthwhile running the Bio.
If it aint broke dont fix it!!!
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I think it's worth mentioning that some pump diesel contains a small percentage of biodiesel as wel.l
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Gonna throw a spanner in the works now...........

What alternative fuels can I run my HDi on? Diesel prices are getting ridiculous now and could do with a cheap alternative.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I think they will run on bio diesel, but definetly won't run on oil.
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

Toby_HDi wrote:Gonna throw a spanner in the works now...........

What alternative fuels can I run my HDi on? Diesel prices are getting ridiculous now and could do with a cheap alternative.
Biodiesel only although take care in cold temperatures. Citroen back biodiesel to I think around 30% in HDI's
I was using 90-100% biodiesel in the summer months although I'm only using 20-30% at the moment. As has been stated previously if your going to use biodiesel try and find someone who produces their fuel to proper quality standards and ask them how they have had their fuel checked.

Regards
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

So what is biodiesel exactly? And where can I get it from?

You say you've been running 90-100% in summer months, is that in a HDi?