What do I need

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Toby_HDi
My Cars:

What do I need

Post by Toby_HDi »

Just planning now for the Xantia's service. Hopefully with the help of Xac and citrojim (Cheers guys) I want to do all fluids/filters/spheres/timing kit and just a general going over of the car. Can you advise me on what brands are good, what to avoid, how much its likely to cost and where to get them from. Will use the following list and if you can just add next to each part the details above.

Car is a 2000 (X) Xantia 2.0 HDi (110) SX - Hatchback

Spheres (all 6)
Hydraflush
Timing Kit
LHM Fluid
Air Filter
Fuel Filter
Pollen Filter
Oil Filter
Oil
Front/Rear brake pads
Front/Rear brake discs

If theres anything I've missed that should be on there please add. Anything that I might have missed that ought to be done. As I said, I want to give the car a good going over so its in really good condition again.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

check www.gsfcarparts.com
they've got a store in poole and scumham, sorry, southampton ;)

If you want oil, I've got access to Costco and they sell 10w40 engine oil in 20L plastic drums for not a lot.

If we're going to change the timing belt, then it'd be an idea to replace the water pump too, they don't seem too happy with belt changes.

Do you know when the coolant was last replaced?

Prices are approx and ex VAT

120 Spheres (all 6)
15 Hydraflush
58 Timing Kit
16 (4L) LHM Fluid
5 Air Filter
10 Fuel Filter
10 Pollen Filter
5 Oil Filter
Oil
20 Front/Rear brake pads
16 Front/Rear brake discs

Totalish: 275 or about 325 inc vat

You know, it strikes me that to do all that servicing, it costs more than some Xantias!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Toby,

That is a fine and comprehensive list :D I can't think of anything to add to that except maybe a water pump.

I'm not too familiar with the HDi but normally on an XUD it is strongly recommended that the water pump be replaced when replacing the timing belt and I'd expect that to apply equally to the HDi. By timing kit I'm assuming you mean a belt and tensioner set. Like the water pump, it is good practice to swap tensioners on an engine of unknown history. If you buy from GSF, check carefully the cost of belt and tensioners separately compared to the kit; sometimes it's cheaper to buy them separately :roll:

Everything you need is available in one hit from GSF. Do it on-line for a big order like this and you'll get no postage charges. The Postman will not be your friend though :D :D GSF sell some good stuff generally, either OE or OE quality and best of all, genuine Total LHM+ :D To my mind, GSF may not be quite the cheapest but their stuff is better than what you'll get from your loacl factor and in my experience, their serive is second to none. I've never had a problem with them.

As for cost, use the GSF on-line shop and fill your basket with what you need and see at the end how much it all comes to. You can cancel the order at the last moment with no problem.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Magic Wand... :roll:

Sure will help a lot.

Regards
Slim.
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Xac - Waterpump yes, good bet. It is lol. Reckon mine is worth a bit more though (hopefully :D) Have no history on the car so coolant change is good, like i said all fluids would be useful, maybe even gear oil if possible.

Jim - Thanks, yer I mean the belt, tensioners and pulleys

To both Xac and Jim - Do you think its worth the estimate to be doing all this work? Would it also be feasible to go round the whole car checking other small things like bushes etc?

Slim - What do you mean? :?
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Before changing your spheres, check if some of your originals are long life spheres (possibly just the fronts on your car), they may last longer than short life replacement spheres from GSF.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Budget for a replacement auxillary drive belt. Not a bad idea to replace it when doing a major service.
Toby_HDi wrote: Slim - What do you mean? :?
I think what Slim means is that is rather a lot of work to do in a day :D One thing about a Xantia is that job NEVER goes without a problemette or two. To try to do too much in one go is not a good plan.

Personally, If you want to swap the cambelt, tensioners and waterpump then allow a whole day just for this. Realistically, in a day you can tackle spheres, an oil change and a general check/appraisal. I hate to rush anything and woukld rather take time over a few days.

The gearbox on a 110 HDi is a pig to check/change oil in. It's the ML5 and in the immortal words of the BoL, access to the filler/level plug is "very poor" :twisted: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mezuk04a
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04a »

By experience, nothing ever goes right when doing work on a Citroen :lol:
Golf 55' 1.9TD
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

When I did mine I bought a bacterial cleaner for the air con system. Valeo brand from GSF. I'm assuming yours has A/C.

Stick with quality oil too, the Citroen recommended stuff from GSF is a fair price. Probably Total Quartz 7000.

Steve.
not applicable
marsalek
My Cars: Xantia X2 HDi109
C5 X7 HDi240

Post by marsalek »

citrojim wrote: The gearbox on a 110 HDi is a pig to check/change oil in. It's the ML5 and in the immortal words of the BoL, access to the filler/level plug is "very poor" :twisted: :lol:
Citrojim,
changing the gearbox oil is not as bad. I filled oil through the reverse-gear switch (spanner 22mm) afer removing the air filter box. You do not need to locate the lever plug (still do not know where it is located), just pour 2.0 liters of oil an you are done :-)

Karel
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Same with any car really. Never goes without a hitch.

So Jim, I'll look into the parts and what we could possibly get done in day. Just have a niggle though that its a bit much to be spending on it now.