ZX instrument panel removal (dented arms!)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

ZX instrument panel removal (dented arms!)

Post by deian »

Hi,

Further to my previous post about the rev counter not working in my 1.9td zx, I checked the sensor and I find no reason for it not to work down there.

I then tried to take the instrument panel out but I cannot for the life of me detach the speedo cable from the back of that far side of the instrument panel. I can only reach my hand in from the right side and it only goes in so far, then it starts leaving dents my skin for the weekend.

The haynes bol is pathetic, is says just unclip it from underneath!! WHAT? How? I just want my check the wiring to the rev counter, I can see a green loose plug floating about behind, but I gotta take it out to check it all out.

Any ideas, or advise? Thanks
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

From what I remember Haynes was right - take the cover off under the steering column - then I seem to remember removing the bonnet catch and one or 2 circuit boards - then it was simple to reach up and pinch the speedo connection to release it.

You may not need to do all of this - I think I came to the conclusion that it wasn't necessary to remove the steering wheel - but that's easy anyway.
jeremy
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

I see Citroen are still being tight with their wiring. I've always found that the looms are cut almost mm perfect and don't allow for 'fat hands'. Still bear the scars from my BX instrument panel.
Renault always used to give a little slack with their wiring

Gammy
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Ignore the Haynes advice it's pants - on our car it was just solid wires in there. The easy way to get the binnacle out is to remove the radio, centre vents and surround panel (10-20 mins) - you can change the heater bulbs while you are there too (but again ignore Haynes and carefully unclip and pull off the front panel, complete with the knobs, to get access to the bulbs). Now remove the panel surround and take the screws out of the panel. Now the best bit - there is a small metal lug at the bottom (I think - it's a while since I did it) and this stops the panel coming forward. Carefully tilt the panel and lift it over the lug - it should now come forewards about 1" and there is then loads of room to reach in through the radio aperture and unclip the speedo cable - and I've got hands like Navvy's shovels :lol: I fought with the speedo cable for about 40 mins before I sat back and realised the presence of the metal lug :roll:
Richard W