Xantia HDI pinking?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Lucifer

Xantia HDI pinking?

Post by Lucifer »

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for a while now My 1999 2.0HDI 110BHP has been pinking under load, I have just put this down to old age 155000.

I recent times my partner has said its been lumpy on start-up so much so the whole car shakes almost like not running on all cylinders , today it happened with me on start-up, almost the same as a chock not catching.

Now I’m not sure there related but could someone point me in the right direction. E.g where should I be looking
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

I don't think a diesel can pink (pre ignite).

However if it's running rough and starting badly then either sensor or injector/pump problems I would have thought. Is the fuel filter clear?

I don't see as there's an easy way fix this without diagnostic facilities.

Steve.
not applicable
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Possibly an injector worn or sticking?

Mine went through a phase of running slightly rough on cold starts just before christmas. I've heard before that putting a bit of cheap engine oil or 2 stroke oil in with the derv can benefit HDis so I tried a couple of litres of 2 stroke in with 50 litres of derv. It apparently helps to lubricate the pumps, fuel transducer and injectors.

It may sound crazy, but since the 2 stroke its started perfectly every time, even now the tank has emptied & refilled twice since I put the oil in :)
Lucifer

Post by Lucifer »

I just had a quick check of the old bills and can’t see one for a fuel filter, so could it be water in the filter or a clogged filter?

Does the HDI have the same setup as the old TD with just a paper filter and water bleed valve or have they got a more complicated system?
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

They have a very similar setup to the TD, which isn't really up to the job on the HDi to be honest.

It is often recommended that the entire plastic filter housing is replaced in one piece on the HDi to avoid any possibility of contaminating the fuel system.
Lucifer

Post by Lucifer »

I think the fuel filter is a must, the old Haynes I have only goes upto 1998 has anyone got a guide for replacement of the filter.

Looks like it’s just push fit pipe clips but do I need to depressurize it or depressurize it

if its the full unit is that the
BOSCH n/a 503735060 DIESEL FILTER & HOUSING 2.0 HDI BOSCH SYSTEM -RP8973 COMPLETE WITH HOUSING £35.33
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

That should be the right part! Being a 110 your car should have the Bosch fuel system, and being a 1999 model will be well before RP number 8973 (which equates to June 2001).

There's no need to depressurize anything, just check there's no obvious dirt around pipe fastenings which could find its way inside, undo any bolts holding the housing to its mounting, unclip the pipes from the old filter housing and clip them onto the new one asap.
When the new housing is in place and connected up, switch the ignition on and off a couple of times to make the electric lift pump prime the system. Then start the engine.

Changing the whole filter housing does also help to make the job quicker and less messy and fiddly than trying to change just the element.
Lucifer

Post by Lucifer »

Thanks for the help fingers crossed my local store has it when I pickup the exhaust
Brian UK
My Cars:

Post by Brian UK »

Changing the filter element is not difficult, but you should always clean out the bowl carefully before refitting. Check for metal slivers in bottom. This is an indication of a waering fuel lift pump.
Worth checking your old filter housing if you change the whole thing.
Brian.