Xantia Front Suspension Keeps Pumping

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

olykun
My Cars:

Xantia Front Suspension Keeps Pumping

Post by olykun »

Hi There

Am new to the forum, I couldn't find an answer here, so if anyone can help it would be appreciated.

Recently my 97 Xantia 3.0 V6 (hydraactive II - I think) had its wishbones replaced. Now it seems as though it doesn't know when to stop pumping the front suspension. It keeps pumping until the front of the car is at the max height, and then keeps pumping more, the back seems to be working fine.

If the lever is set to the lowest position it will drop to the lowest position, but if it is set to any other position it will pump the front to the top.

Any ideas what it might be?

Thanks in advance!

Oly
Xantia V6
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

This sounds like the plastic height corrector link has popped off. This link connects the height corrector to the Anti-Roll Bar and often breaks or pops off if the height corrector linkages are seized or partially so. It may have been disturbed when the wishbones were replaced. The link pops onto two little balljoints. Just occasionally the balljoint on the height corrector linkage snaps off. If this happens, you'll need to replace the height corrector mechanicals although not the hydraulic part.

The clip is very cheap from a dealer and not too hard to fit. Just ensure the car is ADEQUATELY SUPPORTED before venturing underneath. A rapidly collapsing hydro Citroen can crush and kill you so take care.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

There was a thread on here a while back where some one had replaced the font wishbone bushes and in doing so had levered up the roll bar out of the way and trashed the height corrector.....

This sounds awfully familiar.... :cry:
Richard W
olykun
My Cars:

Post by olykun »

Thanks for all your help! It works again! All that was needed was a bit of WD40 and elbow grease to work the height corrector linkage back into a happy state. The tips gave us an idea as to where to look, so thanks a lot!

I might post a few of my minor Xantia problems here and see how we go...
Xantia V6