Xantia whining noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BrianR

Xantia whining noise

Post by BrianR »

Ive just bought a 1993 Xantia 19td.When driving I get a whining noise.Its there in all gears and is there whether under power or coasting.Today Ijacked up the front and spun the o/s wheel and there was no noise,when I spun the n/s wheel there was a droning noise but it was difficult to tell if it was coming from the wheel or the gearbox.There didnt seem any play in the front wheel bearings.Can anyone out there shed any light on what this noise could be.Thank you in anticipation.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Brian,
Assuming there is oil in the transmission (a highly likely scenario) it sounds as though that wheel bearing is possibly shot.
Check that oil level first and don't be fooled by service records. The number of Citroen transmissions I've found either bone dry or close to it is unbelievable & all had service records to show they had been recently serviced. The only way to check is to remove the level plug & slowly top up until oil starts to drip out. The old trick of removing the plug and if it is oily assuming it's OK doesn't work with these for some reason.
Once the oil level has been verified, running the car with the front wheels off should enable an easy diagnosis if the noise is still persisting.
Alan S
BrianR

Post by BrianR »

Thanks Alan I'll check the oil when it stops raining and take it from there.