Help req: 2.0HDi Estate rev counter fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

the-fat-controller

Help req: 2.0HDi Estate rev counter fault

Post by the-fat-controller »

I'm toying with buying a 2001 2.0HDi Forte estate, to replace my dead 94 1.9TD SX.

Went to have a look at it today and despite the mileage (145K), there's very little wrong. The most annoying thing seems to be the rev counter.

When the engine is switched off, the needle goes all the way clockwise (so sits up at the stop, after the 6500 or whatever the mark is), when the engine is started, it records around 5000 revs as the tickover figure, and increases from there.

Anyone have any ideas how to sort it out?

Also - the traffic master thingy keeps announcing that the licence is out of date. I might not mind this if the voice reminded me of some young blonde, but would appreciate any advice on it's usefulness or disposal?

FInally - would the towbar off my 94 saloon fit this car - or were the mounting points moved/ changed?

Thanks in advance,
Regards,

Lee.
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

You might be able to re-home the rev counter needle by sliding a long piece of wire in. Either that or take the clocks out and give them a shake. I beleive the rev counter needle on the diesels gets knocked out by jump-starting.

Trafficmaster Oracle isn't great and I wouldn't waste 30 quid renewing the subscription, but for anybody who wants to the link is here:

http://www.trafficmaster-online.com/Pin ... nRenew.asp

The towbar mounting points are different on the estate too.
ImageImage