Adding cruise control to a HDi Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Adding cruise control to a HDi Xantia

Post by Toby_HDi »

How can this be done? I have a X plate SX HDi atm and wish to install the factory cruise control set up.

What trim did cruise control come with? VSX, Exclusive or both?

Did that trim come with a HDi engine?

Bascially I want the set up to be as close to factory as possible so no aftermarket kits. Want to take it of a scrap Xantia.

From a combination of previous experience with a V6 Vectra and having glanced through my owners manual I think I'll need the following

Cruise control motor
Throttle cable for 2.0 HDi
Control Stalk
Master switch
Steering cowlings with cutout for stalk
Clutch switch
Brake switch

If there is anything else then please let me know. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Hi !

I doubt very much you'd need such old fashioned things as a motor and "throttle cable", you might not even need the brake and clutch switch as the ECU will need input from these for the engine.

Most cruise nowadays will link in to the "fly by wire" accelerator input.

You will probably get away with the stalk / cowlings and perhaps flicking an electronic switch in the BSI setup.

Might be useful to know what HP your motor is, although I think the Xantias only came in 110hp anyway ?

MAt.
405 STi Auto Est
Cruise, Aircon, Sunroof
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

mbunting wrote:Hi !

I doubt very much you'd need such old fashioned things as a motor and "throttle cable", you might not even need the brake and clutch switch as the ECU will need input from these for the engine.

Most cruise nowadays will link in to the "fly by wire" accelerator input.

You will probably get away with the stalk / cowlings and perhaps flicking an electronic switch in the BSI setup.

Might be useful to know what HP your motor is, although I think the Xantias only came in 110hp anyway ?

MAt.
Ok so the Xantia is fly by wire? I thought I might need these things if it was cable throttle.

I thought they came in 90 and 110, mine is 110 though
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

My Honda has cruise control. Unfortunately our roads are so busy I have never been able to use it, except for going through "limited speed" zones on motorways that are under repair.

Having said that, a lady friend said she managed to use it set at 78 mph for most of her journey m6-m5 last week! :shock: But I have never been that lucky! :roll:
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

As per my previous post on this subject you won't get a factory cruise control set up on an HDi Xantia as Citroen didn't offer it in the UK (or anywhere else in the world for that matter IIRC). Cruise control was only offered on petrol 2.0 automatic (optional extra on VSX) and as standard to 3.0 automatic Exclusive models .

Therefore I think you'll struggle to find a clutch switch :wink: the brake pedal will also be rather wide (the switch inside the pedal is just as wide).

When cruise is fitted to an HDi (such as a C5/Picasso etc) it's done by electronics by way of reprogramming the BSi and engine ECU and bearing in mind that it was never offered on an HDi Xantia the ECU may not even accept the reprogramming anyway.

The only way I can see you fitting cruise control to an HDi is by using an aftermarket kit. The problem then will be getting your insurance company to approve it without hiking your premium.

If you really want cruise on a Xantia get a V6, my favorite Xantia of all of them :D
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Interestingly, a pal of mine has just got an Activa which
is effectively a 2.0i petrol VSX running a MANUAL gearbox
and I recall the owners handbook set has a separate
operating handbook suggesting it may be an aftermarket
installation though it works extremely well and was great
for motorway driving when I tried driving it.

I've always believed cruise control would only work with
the set up of auto gearbox's which does fit in with the
2.0i auto and the v6 Xantia models.

There's a chance I know where an an Xm is being broken
for spares that has cruise and whilst it's a diesel it's an
auto so the parts may not be compatible to a 110 HDi
engine. If it's of help I'll see if the installation is wotking
and available!

Andrew
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

andmcit wrote:Interestingly, a pal of mine has just got an Activa which
is effectively a 2.0i petrol VSX running a MANUAL gearbox
and I recall the owners handbook set has a separate
operating handbook suggesting it may be an aftermarket
installation though it works extremely well and was great
for motorway driving when I tried driving it.
Has your friends' Activa had a previous owner living in/around the Aldershot area? I recall looking at one that had an aftermarket cruise control fitted, that one had had a new front ram recently fitted.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Thanks for the replies fellas. Shame that as I reckon I would use it a fair amount. Don't want to buy a V6 as I just got rid of a Vectra with one because am trying to get on the property ladder, hence the HDi.
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Someone has given me the idea of taking the set up from a 406 with the HDi as cruise is more common. Would this work? I have thought about it and reckon I would need switche and stalk from Xantia and cruise control ECU from 406?