Mk2 Xantia: disassemble the Rear Antisink Valve

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

marsalek
My Cars: Xantia X2 HDi109
C5 X7 HDi240

Mk2 Xantia: disassemble the Rear Antisink Valve

Post by marsalek »

Dear guys,

rear of my Mk2 Xantia (HDi) sinks during the night :-( and it takes about one minute in the morning to rise. The car begann to sink suddenly, from one day to another. The front stays up as usually. Both height correctors work fine, there is no LHM leak in the whole system. Have plain hydraulics with 6 spheres, no hydractive. The four suspension spheres on all wheels are also fine.

I suspect the antisink valve to cause this. Can it be disassembled? How?

Thanks for all tips and tricks!
Karel
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

How old is the accumulator sphere? It might be that that's allowing the rear to sink overnight.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Karel,

If you have not already spotted it, have a look at this thread..

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=22831
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
marsalek
My Cars: Xantia X2 HDi109
C5 X7 HDi240

Post by marsalek »

Hi Jim and JohnD,

all spheres were regassed two years ago. Jim, thanks for the link! I've read the thread this morning and came to the conclusion, that the abrupt symptoms could have been caused only by the Antisink valve or (here I am not too sure) by flat rear accumulator sphere. Can one somehow test the rear accumulator sphere on the car?

But the initial question still remains :-)
How can the antisink valve be disassembled?

Karel
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Karel,

I've been pondering how to test the anti-sink sphere and this may work:

Given that the sphere provides a reserve of pressure for the rear brakes with the rear anti-sink valve closed, if the sphere is good, the rear brakes should be able to be applied a few times until it is exhausted.

Raise the rear on axle-stands, start up, set on high, allow full normal pressure to be achieved. Stop the car and wait for the rear anti-sink valve to come into operation as main pressure falls and then see if the rear brakes can be applied. If the rear brakes are able to be applied a few times, the anti-sink sphere must be supplying at least some pressure.

This is all a bit of guesswork but accidentially I think I have made use of this property of the anti-sink sphere when bleeding my rear brakes :)

As for the disassembly of the anti-sink valve, it must be possible as every other hydraulic component can be dismantled fairly readily with care. The valve is a high-recision component and will need dismantling under clinical conditions.

What does your LHM look like? If it is old and brownish, the valve could be sticking and thus a hydraflush will be highly recommended to clean everything up and maybe free off the valve without needing to dismantle it. It can work wonders for lazy height correctors :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...