xantia elecrical problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cowmechanic
My Cars:

xantia elecrical problem

Post by cowmechanic »

Hello there,came across this website last wk and decided to join as i am a bit of a citroen freak.I,ve had two xantias and have just bought a c5. My last xantia was driving well but had got alittle rough around the edges. The final straw came when the rev conter, speedo,temp gauge,fuel gauge,and reversing lights stopped working and its not the fuse.To tell you the truth i,m considering putting her back on the road as the c5 is fairly thirsty. The xantia always managed at least 45 no matter how hard i drove and the c5 can only manage about 37 driving gently. Is the dash quitting a common problem in xantias .Any advice would be appreciated
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi and a big welcome to the FCF :D

No, the whole dash quitting is not a common problem.

That's quite a swathe of stuff to suddenly stop working but I'll wager it has a simple enough and common cause.

Give us some details of the Xantia (year, engine etc) and we can then pore over the wiring diagrams and come up with some thoughts :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
cowmechanic
My Cars:

Post by cowmechanic »

Cheers i,m new to this caper so bare with me . I have a 98 xantia 1.9 td showing 180k,the car is quite damp inside owing to my job,the windsceen has a couple of bad cracks at the junction with the dashwhich might have let water into that area. On the day when the dash quit the dials on the gauges at one stage jumped up and down in sychony with the door open keys still in ignition alarm .I hope this is useful
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Hi, and welcome aboard ! :D

This fault could be rusting earth terminals under the battery, or rotting wires in the loom along the bottom of the radiator ... story here:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=16816
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
cowmechanic
My Cars:

wires under radiator xantia

Post by cowmechanic »

Cheers Clogzz. Opened up wireing loom under radiator ,full of water and muck,dried the whole area out ,instument cluster has started working again,couldn,t find any damaged wires but didn,t look very hard. I had to change the fuse . It definitely was not blown before. I will probably take another look at the wires in daylight.Many thanks :D
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Hi cowmechanic, :D

Nice to see a problem sorted.
My 1995 Xantia has the openings of the pieces of shroud at the bottom, so that if water gets in, it can drain out.

It’s also possible that this problem only affects right-hand-drive cars, as left-hand-drives have most wires on the battery and fuse box side.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389