Xantia LHM leak pipe replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

HST

Xantia LHM leak pipe replacement

Post by HST »

My Xantia 2.1TD Exclusive has sprung an LHM leak, fortunately near home. I've tracked it down to a pinhole opening in a pipe pictured in the photo. This is a view looking into the nearside wheelarch with the wheel removed: the cross marks the offending pipe. Despite the hole being tiny, the LHM is coming out at a fair old rate (too high to contemplate driving), the actual leak was hard to spot as it was such a fine jet spraying onto the chassis. I could have sworn it was dripping from above!

Does anyone know what this pipe is? Are the ends easily accesible for replacement? If so I may fix it myself, but given the time of year and UK climate, unless it's an easy side of road fix I'll let a garage do it. In which case I see two options.

1. Call out the AA and get them to transport it to the garage of my choice.
2. Wrap the offending pipe in self-amalgamating tape and drive the couple of miles to the garage. Given the limited damage to the pipe and the fact I could stop the flow with finger pressure this seems reasonable.

If option two sounds insane, please let me know!!

slim123

Post by slim123 »

The pipe looks to be a 6.35mm (1/4 inch) if so it is possible that the offending pipe is the pump tp pinion supply pipe, get someone to sit in the car and with the engine running put the steering on full lock, if the leak gets worse then this is the steering feed pipe.

Sorry to burst yer bubble but the steering runs at 150 bar constant pressure, there aint gonna be no tape to hold that off!!!

I think that a replacement pipe will be the only fix.

Regards
Slim.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Defo option 1 :shock:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

2nd that, I think it is the supply pipe from pump to steering rack. Had to replace mine last year, £75 (£64.19 + VAT) from the dealer. Part number C/4023H6 it says on the invoice. Its a long pipe including a rubber flexi bit in the middle, looks a real pain to fit but isn't too bad in the end.

Rory