2.1 xantia pinking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rongee68

2.1 xantia pinking

Post by rongee68 »

i have a 2.1 xantia diesel, it sounds just like a petrol engine pinking. any idea's please
thanks ron
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Did the change in diesel sound come suddenly ?
- as then I suspect the #3 injector which holds a sensor coil. This is known to be a problem on 2.1TD's with Lucas EPIC injection systems.

The only solution is to replace the injector, as the built-in sensor element simply disrupts over time.

The injector with sensor will be the only one of the 4 holding an electric connector.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
rongee68

Post by rongee68 »

thanks for your advice anders, somebody told me it was water but i did'nt think it was as there would have been some in the filter bowl.
thanks again ron
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ron,

Further to Anders comments on the No.3 injector Lift Sensor, the 2.1 also has two other sensors that bear checking. The Inlet Air Temperature sensor in the inlet duct just before the inlet manifold and the MAP sensor down on the LH side of the intercooler. It looks like a small square box with a connector on it. It has a rubber pipe below it going to a spigot on the intercooler. The way the pipe runs it can chafe and develop a hole or perish like the similar boost sense pipe on the 1.9TD engines.

Is you Engine Management Light on under any circumstances and does it go off straight away upon start-up? Is your tacho working normally?

EDIT: Also ensure you have no air being drawn into the pump with the fuel. These pumps are very sensitive to air in the fuel and can do strange things. You should have enough translucent pipework to confirm or otherwise the absence of air in the fuel lines.

I find the 2.1TD does sound a lot more "diesely" than the 1.9TD, especially on idle.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...