Xantia 1.9 TD Economy at speed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

KP wrote: I guess really i am going to have bring the speed down and make more time for the trip once ive settled into it after a few days and see how it goes as i reckon it would add another 10-15minutes onto the trip which is already about 40-45mins :(
When I'm late and trying to make up time by driving more quickly, it feels like I'm putting a lot of effort into getting there quicker but never save more than a few minutes because there is so much traffic on the roads. Accelarating to your cruising speed after being held up by slower traffic burns lots of fuel!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I agree with Jim (a few posts back) your driving style will have far more effect on the fuel consumption than any other single factor. The more throttle you use with a diesel the less efficient it becomes as it enriches the mixture, diesels are far more efficient at small throttle openings than petrol engines partly because of the very lean mixtures they will run on, driving at full throttle will reduce the economy to something near that of a petrol engine.

Surprisingly the 2.1 td (if you can find one) will probably have better economy than the 1.9, partly because you have more power and therefore can use less throttle,and also because they are a very efficient engine. I have run 2.1 td XMs for more than 10 years and on a longish journey driven sensibly they will exceed 50 mpg, my wifes 1.9 td ZX will only do about 45 mpg on the same sort of journey.
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Ill go out on a limb and say try this:-

www.waterpoweredcar.com 8)
1994 Xantia 1.9TD sx non anti sink.No aircon.Gone to the great scappy up above.

Now with Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI (90 bhp)(03 plate) in 'Wicked Red'
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Its quite possible to run an internal combustion on 'water gas' hydrogen + oxygen, in fact it will run very efficiently on it, the problem is that it takes more energy to extract the gasses from the water than they produce when burned, school physics demonstrates that. Unless someone has found a way of reversing the 'laws of physics.
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

So has anyone on this site contemplated having a go at this hydrogen fuel.
The site links shows that you can even buy kits for various sized petrol/diesel engines and more.
1994 Xantia 1.9TD sx non anti sink.No aircon.Gone to the great scappy up above.

Now with Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI (90 bhp)(03 plate) in 'Wicked Red'
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Of course you could produce your hydrogen using electrolysis powered by solar and wind power.
jeremy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

True - but its probably not as efficient as storing the energy in batteries. I know they are expensive, but so is storing hydrogen.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The problem with batteries - besides their cost and sheer weight - is that they take time to charge - whereas your home hydrogen electrolysis kit could be happily gassing away producing the stuff while you are cursing the sun or wind in your car - you then transfer the gas when you get home or buy it elsewhere if you're caught short.

Home produced hydrogen has potential for some awful accidents.
jeremy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

You'r quite right Jeremy, something I hadn't thought of. But the transfer facilities for hydrogen are not exactly DIY! :)