Xantia Heater matrix: Two Questions...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Xantia Heater matrix: Two Questions...

Post by CitroJim »

I've yet to have the pleasure but I'm going to have to bite the bullet.

Both my Activa and my 2.1TD are a bit smelly. The 2.1 is worse and will be done first. Having no passenger airbag it'll be a good practice run :wink:

I note that GSF only offer one matrix (N17838) and it states it is for the non-aircon model. Both my Activa and 2.1 have aircon.

pr.net seems to suggest that the matrix is the same for both non-aircon and aircon. Is this correct and will the GSF one do?

Do the MK1 and MK2 use the same matrix?

When a matrix leaks, where does the water generally end up in the passenger footwell? Does it leak down from the drain tube visible under the dash at the very top of the passenger footwell and run down the side and pool on the carpet nearest to the centre console?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Hi Jim,

The matrix GSF sells fits both aircon and non aircon models, I'm not sure, but I believe S1 and S2 models use the same matrix.

On the cars I've seen with a leaking matrix, white stains can be seen on the heater outlet in the passenger footwell and on the grey metal flap motor 'thingy' that protrudes down from the heater housing. Due to the shape of the inside of the heater housing escaping water will always fall onto the passenger side.

A big tip for anyone changing the matrix on a Xantia, make sure you remove the metal collar for the aircon water drain in the engine bay before you pull the heater housing back, otherwise you will snap the plastic drain tube off allowing evaprated water to drop into the passenger footwell.

Also whilst the engine is hot, separate the matrix to heater connection hose otherwise you'll struggle to get that joint separated and snap the plastic hose connection, £75+ for a new one.

Hmm, now how did I discover these problems :cry: ?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

I used the GSF matrix on my series 2 Xantia with aircon so it would seem that they are all the same. From what I have seen here the job is a bit 'easier' on the series 2 than the series 1 but I haven't done a series 1. I can tell you that the passenger airbag is no problem on a series 2 at least as you don't have to remove it from the dash, just unplug it and it will come away with the dash complete.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
ok2ucx
My Cars:

Post by ok2ucx »

Dears,

my 2.1TD/1998 seems to have this problem too (windshield gets foggy instead of "unfogging", even after ~30km drive). Here I would like to know few more details:
DickieG wrote:On the cars I've seen with a leaking matrix, white stains can be seen on the heater outlet in the passenger footwell and on the grey metal flap motor 'thingy' that protrudes down from the heater housing. Due to the shape of the inside of the heater housing escaping water will always fall onto the passenger side.
... seems that you're talking RHD cars, correct? Where would mine LHD drip? Passenger (on the right)?
DickieG wrote:... make sure you remove the metal collar for the aircon water drain in the engine bay before you pull the heater housing back, otherwise you will snap the plastic drain tube off allowing evaprated water to drop into the passenger footwell.
... where exactly is this collar accessible from/through? Any pictures or advices?
DickieG wrote:Also whilst the engine is hot, separate the matrix to heater connection hose otherwise you'll struggle to get that joint separated and snap the plastic hose connection, £75+ for a new one.
... heard about this trouble joint too, here on a local forum. Also - any advices where/when this joint needs to be disconnected?

Well, actually I plan to change this matrix anytime soon, since ventilation "fogs" my windshield, it's little bit smelly and in addition, the antifreeze is getting lost over the time. This all seems to be typical for leaking radiator, right?

Regarding the matrix size, local people advices that there are two sizes available, but not interchangeable: Valeo 234x156x42mm and Behr 234x150x43mm, where Valeo is probably more frequent choice for Xantia.

Thanks, Pavel
X2 2.1TD 1998 || Volvo V70 D5 2002 || VW Bug 1966
ok2ucx
My Cars:

Post by ok2ucx »

Triple post, sorry.
Last edited by ok2ucx on 16 Jan 2008, 14:59, edited 2 times in total.
ok2ucx
My Cars:

Post by ok2ucx »

Triple post, sorry.