Old subject/new prob. Heater blower& rear windscreen goo

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Xac,

Reading between the lines, I assume you have fitted a relay near the blower? Where did you get the blower feed from? It sounds like you are now taking the switching feed from the radio?

AFAIK the brown connector only operates the fan and HRW. I wouldn't connect this directly to any of the other ign switch contacts as it will burn them out too :twisted: Your best bet will be to put in a relay around the brown connectors, taking an ignition switched live from somewhere else (the radio one you've just tapped into?) - depending on how much chopping you've done at the blower it may be easier to move that relay across to control both. Depending on the configuration of the wiring at the blower now it might be possible to put 12V on the original feed wire, and this will then control the HRW too - although I think you'll need to disconnect the brown connector to avoid the possibility of connecting +ve to -ve :lol:
Richard W
KennyW
Donor 2024
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Thanks for the reply Richard,

I followed Mandrakes route and it is working nicely, my problem was the supply feed for the heater relay had failed at the ignition switch (supply going into switch but nothing coming out).

I simply used the grey plug No 2 and as the feed supply which still goes throught the fuse.

The main supply direct from the battery was supplying 12V.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
KennyW
Donor 2024
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Xac,

just ignore my entry I thought the message was for me :lol:

Do the mod as per simons entry.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

RichardW wrote:Xac,

Reading between the lines, I assume you have fitted a relay near the blower? Where did you get the blower feed from? It sounds like you are now taking the switching feed from the radio?

AFAIK the brown connector only operates the fan and HRW. I wouldn't connect this directly to any of the other ign switch contacts as it will burn them out too :twisted: Your best bet will be to put in a relay around the brown connectors, taking an ignition switched live from somewhere else (the radio one you've just tapped into?) - depending on how much chopping you've done at the blower it may be easier to move that relay across to control both. Depending on the configuration of the wiring at the blower now it might be possible to put 12V on the original feed wire, and this will then control the HRW too - although I think you'll need to disconnect the brown connector to avoid the possibility of connecting +ve to -ve :lol:
Taking 12v from the cigar lighter socket, been running like that for over 12 months now without problems.
The relay feed was from the original ignition switch, but this gave up the ghost.
Now running the relay feed from the radio ignition feed, so it's switching the relay again :)
The HRW is working now too.

My understanding is that the HRW is controlled by a relay, and that relay is controlled by the ignition switch the brown connector comes from.
With the blower relay mod fitted, there should no longer be any high current flowing through the ignition switch, just the relay switching current.

Just realised what it sounded like I was contemplating!
Wasn't going to run the blower directly off the grey plug's ignition switch!

Was planning on moving the HRW and blower relays onto the grey ignition switch as the brown one is obviously on it's last legs.
However as the HRW is now working, I'll leave it for now.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Nice to read of another fix ! :D

It’s now at least the second case here of the switch packing up a long time after the modification took the high current off it.
There have been mentions of heavy bunches of keys hanging off the barrel causing switch failures … could you have had that ?
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Nope, got a yale key, a little LED torch, and a money box key, not exactly heavy stuff.

I guess once the rot sets in it takes less and less to make it worse.
If the HRW stops again, I'll move the brown connector from the duff switch to the good grey one.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Thanks, looks like I’m lucky then, as I modified nearly 10 years ago using the brown switched wire, with everything still going and dangling inside the blower cover.
When it packs up … say soon, as it’s hot and sticky here now … will tap into the grey plug.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389