Ventilation problem - heat only from central facia vents.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

awg2

Ventilation problem - heat only from central facia vents.

Post by awg2 »

Now we have got to winter I have a problem with my Xantia cabin ventilation heating. I get plenty of heat from the central fascia vents but a minimal amount of heat from the dash, side fascia and footwell vents.

I hope it's not the matrix but I am at a loss to diagnose the problem.
C5 2l 2001 130K - daily use X-country (must change job)
Xantia 1.9TD Estate VSX 1995 111k - daily use X-county
3xBX 1xGS 1x16 TS - oh that was a Renault
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If the element is blocked you will get no heat at all - and partially blocked you will get a short burst of hot air when the fan is turned on - then it gets cold as the element cools. Turn off the fan and the cycle will eventually repeat.

Sounds like a problem with the controls to the various flaps. I think there are quite a lot of posts on this subject - so a search may well show up the answer.

Just as a general comment having both BX and ZX - the heaters won't burn your feet on either - in fact I'd describe the air distribution system as poor on both - and the systems are rather different - the ZX being an air blender without a water valve.

Have you changed or cleaned the pollen filter recently?
jeremy
coopertron

Heat

Post by coopertron »

I have a Citroen ZX 1.9TD Volcane, which has a similar ish problem.

The heater is only ever lukewarm really, never gets really toasty.

I had it in at the local garage to replace the thermostat, and flush and bleed the whole system to clear it of airlocks, and this doesn't seem to have made any difference really.

The air that comes out of the windscreen demister, feet, and two side air vents is pretty much cold, but the central vents do have some warmish air coming out of them.

I am just assuming that the heater matrix was knackered, but what do you guys think?
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

A cable has either kinked or come off the controls. It's not too hard to fix but a bit fiddly.

If it's kinked you can straighten the end with pliers and it will be fine as long as you are gentle with that control. If it's come off you either have to find the clip, get another one or do what I did and rob the clip off the recirc control.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If you have hot air in one place but not another, as has been stated, the matrix is OK but you have a distribution fault which will probably be a flap cable.

Poor heat everywhere on the other hand could be a matrix problem or it could be that a new thermostat is needed, is the engine running at normal temperature? If it is, you either have an air lock in the heater or the matrix is clogged.

Disconnect the two heater pipes and put a hosepipe in one, the water should come out of the other one at full bore. If a lot of dirty water comes out, transfer the hose to the other pipe and reverse flush it, keep doing this until the water comes out clean, refit one pipe and fill the system with water until it runs out of the heater connection and the other pipe, then connect it and it should work. :)