Xantia Speedo 'interface unit'

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Xantia Speedo 'interface unit'

Post by RichardW »

I found some info on another forum relating to a speedo interface unit curing flickering speedo probs on a 406 / Xantias. Can't find it in citroen-service though... Anybody know anything about it, or got a part numbr for it? Or even where it is on a Xantia (behind the glove box on a 406 apparently)?
Richard W
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I think they might mean the pick up/sender unit on post'95 cars.
If so you find it where the speedo casble is on earlier cars, just above o/s driveshaft
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

no hes on about the black box with a beige top, that the speedometer sensor sends the data too, i too have the same problem on my 406, just got the box out (from behind the glove compartment)

its got PPE-GF10 stamped on it, also another identity mark is on the beige plastic plate, its got the id IND.VE3 marked on it. looks acutely like someone with a xantia described

OK this link is for the wrong car, but its the same unit id imagine as what you have on your xantia.

http://www.peugeot406coupe.com/howto/1929SJ.pdf
1990 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo (The Fast One)
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

never heard of a xantia with one of these units. usually pin 3 of the sensor sends a pulse directly to the instrument panel & depending on the injection system fitted the ECU also recieves this pulse.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Nice description on how to replace the unit.

I seriously doubt though that this unit is any interface for the odometer readout. There are way too many wires on the units plug to fulfil this simple task.
It may be very true that the speedo sender unit is wired through this box for ease of wiring layout. But I cant imagine this box has anything to do with reading out the vehicle speed.

I'm much more inclined to think this is the factory fitted header unit for any on-board computer and/or speed-pilot. That would explain the wire bundle, as these functions calls for more complex wiring and electronic functions.

Anyways - on '95 on units on, the speedo is fully electronic with an electric pickup coil receiving the drive axles rpm. This unit is located as described above.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Richard,

IIRC is your Xantia is a S2? If so, is the flickering occurring throughout the speed range or just at the initial start/stop movement between 0-6 MPH? If it's the latter then that's a quirk of the S2 speedo, "They all do that" :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Yes, it's MK2, and yes it does the normal 'jump' on move off - but then it will sometimes randomly jump + or - 20 mph for a couple of seconds, or stick at say 30 mph then jump up to 60. The odo read out seems unaffected though, so I guess it's a fault with the speedo head. TBH it lies so much about the speed even when it's reading constant that I just ignore it, and it seems to have settled down now anyways - have done nearly 10k since I bought it at the end of August :roll:
Richard W
h2ocooler
My Cars:

Post by h2ocooler »

My 1998 2.1 TD started sticking at 50 or over reading by about 20mph, hitting the dash (when doing real over 50 would make it read right, now it just goes to 30 as soon as i start moving and stays there, given up now and use the speed indidicated on my sat nav now.
Will repalce the speedo at some point though.
Rob
2005 Renault Laguna II Sports Tourer Initiale 2.0 Turbo Auto Estate
2003 Citroen C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive Captains Chair
2007 Renault Megane 1.6VVT Cabriolet Coupe Dynamique
02 C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive Auto Estate (my Dads) DE_FAPPED
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you might land yourself with speeding tickets if relying on your sat nav speed indicator, as the time laps between the actual speed and what the sat nav checks you at is quite a way out
regards malcolm
Mads
My Cars:

Post by Mads »

I have a problem with my Mk I Speedo, may be a touch more than "flickeringe" thoug :?. On an other forum I was directed to a Swedish site, which recommended checking the soldering on the backside/inside of the speedo:

http://www.peli59.net/xantiafaq/hastighetsmatare.html

If you don't understand Swedish, the pictures should be self explanatory.

Haven't tried it myself yet, but others on the alternative forum have done it with good result.
Mads

C3 1.4HDi, 2003, 85000km
Xantia 2.0 16v Estate, 1997, 195000km
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have had a problem with intermittent readings on an XM, which was due to faulty connections where the red plug is connected to the instrument panel, I dont know if the Xantia is the same. Its due to poor crimping of the wires into the pins on the plug. I havn't repaired mine yet but someone who has says that you can do it using a thin pair of pointed nose pliers to close the sides of the contact up.