LX SX VSX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

LX SX VSX

Post by MikeT »

Are there specific differences to these models? Is there a VLX?
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I have the only vlx I know of in existence.
Its not actually a model citroen produced though, its an lx with vsx interior and turbo.

In short the lx is the one which can come with really naff interiors, but not always, it only gets 2 elec windows, no abs, no foglghts and a few other bits missing. If you don't want the hassle of abs sensors and things its a good buy.

The sx has all the extras as standard that the lx does not except for alloys.

The vsx has all the extras on the sx, plus a nicer interior, better stereo, hydractive suspension (sport mode), alloys, higher pressure turbo and fuel injection. Its the top model in the xantias except for the exclusive which is a more businessman like vsx and the athena which is a later vsx with cruise control.

Theres also the activa which has even sportier suspension.
Then theres dimension, forte and something else which I think are later versions of the sx and lx although I'm not sure as they are to new to interest me.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Thanks for that comprehensiver reply elma!

I think the other variation you're looking for is mine - temptation? It's an LX with ABS, fog lights, passenger airbag, pre-tensioners.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Mine is a late Mk1 LX, its got the foglights, air-con, and colour coded bumpers, interior wasnt that bad, sort of half alcantara on the sides but didnt wear very well hence why i got an Activa interior. Of course mine is a hybrid now with the Activa spoiler, wheels, interior and wood trim which is all to my taste 8)
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
deian

Post by deian »

Basically Elma is right...

But the Exclusive came later on at around phase 2 and replaced the top of the range VSX.

The VSX came with hydractive 2 suspension (as did the exclusive), which has switchable (only the timing) sports suspension.

The lower specifications came with hydropneumatic, then hydractive, there were a few versions of the suspension that came on many versions at different times.

As far as I know, the lx, sx, and vsx all came with fuel injection, and none of them ever came with high pressure turbo.

What I think Elma means is the activa which came with the 2.0i 8v low pressure turbo (also called Constant Torque) engine. The activa has sportier suspension in the way that is was 'active' as in, it kept the chassis level by using hydraulic rams. It had 10 spheres in it. It's a special and rare car. The V6's only came in Exclusive specification, and only came with Automatic boxes, they has EVERYTHING in them.

Of course there were the special named models with extra bits to help sales. There was no VLX.

Lets not forget a lot of the nice stuff could have been optional extras on any model.

Cruise control was only an option for automatic cars I think (i could be wrong).

Hope that helps.
Last edited by deian on 14 Oct 2007, 19:46, edited 1 time in total.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Oh yeah, it's got air-con and colour-coded bumpers/mirrors and electric heated mirrors. The trim is badly worn on mine (alcatera too) but it was used as a rottweiller carrier and probably a taxi before that.
elma

Post by elma »

deian wrote: As far as I know, the lx, sx, and vsx all came with fuel injection, and none of them ever came with high pressure turbo.

of course there were the special named models with extra bits to help sales. There was no VLX.
Can't comment on petrols but on the xud 9 the lx and sx have a kkk turbo and normal injector nozzles.

The vsx has a garrett t2 turbo, which is higher pressure than kkk, bigger injector nozzles and the injector pump is set to higher pressure. I'm certainly not confusing the vsx and the activa.

There definetly was no VLX, although thats what I call mine as it has the garrett turbo and the nice tartan interior from the vsx.

The later Lx's are of higher spec, don't know whats going on there but all of them have alloys, foglights and other bits. I think citroen did it to confuse me.
elma

Post by elma »

Thought of another model now the DESIRE.
No idea what spec its got.

Am I right in thinking theres executive and exclusive or am I just more confused?
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

elma wrote: Can't comment on petrols but on the xud 9 the lx and sx have a kkk turbo and normal injector nozzles.

The vsx has a garrett t2 turbo, which is higher pressure than kkk, bigger injector nozzles and the injector pump is set to higher pressure. I'm certainly not confusing the vsx and the activa.
Why would they do all this just for the VSX? I'm sure they were identical mechanically.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
elma

Post by elma »

It was to complement the hydractive suspension.
Its a much better engine to drive with way more grunt and the turbo makes a nice whistling noise.
I will find some documentation and post it soon, I know I'm right as I've read this many times and I've taken apart at least one of every 1.9td model they made up until n reg.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

My turbo is quite audible, maybe its got a garrett?
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
elma

Post by elma »

Your cars a later model.
As I said I know bugger all about them, it could have a t25 like the HDI (I think its t25 anyway).
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Damn, some sod must have sold my alloys :(

My turbo was audible until I had the front exhaust gasket replaced.
jonnydrumm1967
My Cars:

Post by jonnydrumm1967 »

I'm sure the PSA group quoted 92 BHP and 148 LB/FT for all their 1.9TD applications,from zx to 406 whether they had cat or non cat,intercooler above or at the front.

Mind you the xantia intercooler size compared to the one in my 1.9TD 205 surely meant that it would produce more power?

When I de-catted my xantia this week the difference was amazing!
2000 XANTIA HDi 110 SX Est
1992 205 GTI TD
1996 DISCOVERY TDI
2001 XANTIA HDi LX
1991 205 D Turbo
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

elma wrote:Thought of another model now the DESIRE.
No idea what spec its got.

Am I right in thinking theres executive and exclusive or am I just more confused?
Several 'special edition' models were released just prior to the MK2 models being released in order to sell them off at lower prices. The LX became Temptation, SX Desire and VSX Athena. Just a couple of months later they were re-released as "Temptation 2" etc.

The Exclusive became available on MK 1 Xantia's with the release of the V6. When the MK2 was launched the Exclusive trim level was available with 2.0, 3.0 petrol and 2.1 TD, HDi as well as 1.9TD auto versions. Contrary to popular belief it wasn't until around 1999 that they came fully loaded with sunroof's, heated seats and headlamp wash, those were optional extra's.

Executive tag never used on Xantia's, that was used by Pug on the 406.

Can't say I've ever heard of the VSX specifically being equipped with different engines/turbo's from other models. As far as I'm aware KKK and Garret turbo's could be fitted to any model depending upon availability in the same way that other French car's may have Bendix or Girling braking systems. Brocures of the time gave the same performance figures for all trim versions, 92 bhp then from 96, 90 bhp for TD's.
Last edited by DickieG on 14 Oct 2007, 21:06, edited 2 times in total.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH