XM Engine choice

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Jon

Yes, I believe so. The last batch of manual 2.1 td estates to be sold were all N...YBL, all registered in Jan '96 and there were only 61 sold, according to my information. I have owned three of them, the other one was N497YBL. There are still a surprisingly large number about, I have seen at least five others for sale on ebay or Autotrader, I passed one near Lyme Regis last year... and he waved!

Peter.N.
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Just to add to the discussion -

I still miss 'my' 2.1 VSX manual hatch, the engine pulled well, it handled well and was so comfy but it looked a bit tatty.

However the 2.5 estate I have now is vast, runs on veg oil, has cruise control, everything works(!), seems quite pokey and the engine is as smooth as I expect a 4 cylinder diesel can be (due to the balance shafts). It's really tidy too.

Maybe a 2.5 hatch would be my ideal or V6 with LPG.

Guess I'm just never satisfied, suppose I should never have bought that Xantia....

Steve
not applicable
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Steve

I did try a 2.5 estate and was very impressed, not only with the performance but also the very light clutch, absent in the 2.1! What put me off though was access to the engine, I dont bend as easily as I used to and the 2.1 is bad enough. Another problem is obtaining spares as there are very few of those engines about now. If you dont do a lot of miles this probably isn't a problem but although being retired I am still clocking up nearly 20k per year, so I need one that's servicable.

Peter.N.

PS Lots of info on 2.5s on: club-xm.com
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Hi Peter,

Yes the clutch is very light on my 2.5, the 2.1 was quite hefty. Luckily it had a new clutch fitted a 1000 miles or so before I bought it. Access wise it is tight but that said mine doesn't have air con so it not as bad as it could be. Spares could really be an issue, I don't know if the engine was shared with much else from which I could get parts. If not I suppose a 2.1 could be grafted in. Generally I do about 10k a year and it really is in very nice condition, no signs of bodged work in the past so that's comforting. It really should have cost far more than it did. MPG wise the computer says I average 32 which isn't too bad all things considered.

Steve.
not applicable
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

steelcityuk wrote:Yes the clutch is very light on my 2.5, the 2.1 was quite hefty.
Did the 2.1 XM not have a hydraulic clutch like the Xantia 2.1 then? I find the ML5 hydraulic clutch incredibly light, to the extent that when I get in a 1.9TD I can barely find the strength to push the clutch down...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Jim

No, the 2.1 in the XM always had a cable operated clutch and all mine have been heavy, except the last one, the red one. That had a new engine and clutch when I bought it, the clutch is nearly as light as the hydraulic 2.5, so I can only assume that they have modified it. (Unless they have fitted the wrong clutch!) :o
jonnydrumm1967
My Cars:

Post by jonnydrumm1967 »

Hello Peter,

When I ran Saab 900s years ago (the original shape) I would get a few waves from drivers of other 900s as they passed,heartwarming really! XMs,if anything,are rarer now than the Saabs were then and certainly as distinctive.
I must thank you for the info that you passed to my friend Richard (reblack68) re poor running and stalling on XM. It was the fuel heater and once bypassed,the car ran beautifully,so I got a bargain. Thank you again.

Jon.
2000 XANTIA HDi 110 SX Est
1992 205 GTI TD
1996 DISCOVERY TDI
2001 XANTIA HDi LX
1991 205 D Turbo
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I've finally calmed down and decided to be sensible.
Xantia will be run until I have had it for a full year. I'm being a bit silly after putting that much work into a car to want to change it after a couple of months.
Will still post the insurance prices as I said. Don't know if anyones interested but I am. Theres a lot of variation between models.
I'll definetly be having one for my next car though. I haven't been this taken with a car I can actually have since I first drove a xantia.

Still interested in comments on the engines and mpg etc though.
I know little about xm's and I have 10 months to find it out.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

XM's are getting few and far between now, so don't leave it too long! :(
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

One coud find me before then. But I won't go mad looking until then.
You can get anything if you try hard enough.