ready to start veggie?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

Post by deian »

Thanks for the advice jim, I think I will stick to 50/50 for now as I have to rely on this car to get me to work everyday and then to the airport for my holiday in november.

There are no ill effects what so ever, but the smell is different. In general, doing it 50/50 knocks a few pennies off the price of what i'd normally pay for 100% diesel, so i shan't complain.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

ohms wrote:The failure of the housing seems to occure pretty much straightaway, so I have a modded housing which I fit to every every car prior to running on veg now. :D
It hasn't happened to me (that I'm aware of) in a few thousand miles and I was running 100% most of the time. But come on, share the knowledge :wink: what's the mod'?
ohms wrote:KFC use standard veg oil these days for cooking fries. SOlids are a thing of the past.
Bit like me then :lol:
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

MikeT wrote:
ohms wrote:The failure of the housing seems to occure pretty much straightaway, so I have a modded housing which I fit to every every car prior to running on veg now. :D
It hasn't happened to me (that I'm aware of) in a few thousand miles and I was running 100% most of the time. But come on, share the knowledge :wink: what's the mod'?
As you look at the fuel filter housing, on the left hand side at the bottom is a white adjuster for the heater valve (diverts fuel around under the filter housing to be heated by the engine/coolant or bypasses this heater and lets fuel straight into the filter).
Take the housing off, clean up around the adjuster and let it dry. Smother it in liquid metal or similar to seal it so it can't fail.
Also, as we found with TehAgent's car, check your fuel return pipe for any blockages.

Hmm, actually, I wonder...
TehAgent mentioned it really caused problems when revving as it sucked in more air.
Just wondering if it's gone on my 2.1TD as that seems to get quite a bit of air in the fuel at high revs... and having a lucas pump it's running on diesel.

Other than when I first started and didn't have access to costco, I run mine on KTC GM Soya oil (ok so my engine might mutate...) which is very thick compared to Tesco rapeseed.
Remember, once the engine is up to temp, as soon as the oil hits the hot fuel pump it's heated above 80C so is from the pump and onwards as viscous as diesel, it's getting it from the tank and the engine up to temp that it's thicker.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Cheers Xac, I looked, I saw. Think I'll leave mine as is - don't fix if it ain't broke - besides, I'm not convinced straight veg oil (or mixed with diesel) is the culprit.

Didn't someone plan to do some pump seal soak-tests a few months ago?
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I've been on veg for a few days now and I can't say I'm impressed.
Yeah its cheap but it stinks.
I like xantias as I think they look respectable for an old car.
Smelling like this is ruining that image. Shan't be carrying this on.
I did enjoy filling it up though, the looks you get when filling a car with veg in public vary from a sly smile to you should be locked up you tax dodging hooligan kinda faces.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

If you don't like the smell, try corn oil, or fit a CAT.

Veg isn't only cheaper, it's better for the environment.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Corn oil still smells a little bit and i have a cat fitted to my xantia as well.

To be honest i dont think many people would remember much other than the badge as hardly anyone in the average public knows how to spell Xantia let alone what one is :D

Look on ebay for good examples lol
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

:shock: You prefer the stink of diesel fumes over veg oil? I find that incredulous - unless you live above a fast-food shop, that is. :P
Cpt_Spalding
My Cars:

Post by Cpt_Spalding »

I've started using extra virgin olive oil.

Not only is the smell much improved but the neighbours seem to regard me in a much more forgiving light.

I also think this could help me avoid that gunge build-up in the fuel filter. Sounds like pure cholesterol to me!!! :lol: :lol:
'98 Xantia 1.9TD Tempt 2 Estate.
Had an M reg long ago as co. car & been curious about owning again ever since.
What have I done????
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Cpt_Spalding wrote:I've started using extra virgin olive oil.

Not only is the smell much improved but the neighbours seem to regard me in a much more forgiving light.

I also think this could help me avoid that gunge build-up in the fuel filter. Sounds like pure cholesterol to me!!! :lol: :lol:
:lol: Be careful with olive oil, it has a cloud point of around 7 degrees C so in the cold it may plug the filter.

On a positive note, you could store some nice Kalamata olives in the fuel tank 8) Ideal for a quick snack when stuck in traffic...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

In the words of an hysterical tennis legend, you cannot be serious! :lol:

And besides, it's not veg oil that creates any gunge in the filter, of that I am sure. Unless you mean waxing from too cold temperatures. By the way, I say some low cholesterol oil in Sainsbury's today if that's your taste, called Again and Again. :wink:

Once again, I cleared their shelf of the cheapest oil I could find - pura 100% rapeseed 56p per litre. I get the impression these "price checks" they parade at us is their way of really saying "we can increase our prices knowing our competitors will do the same".
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

MikeT wrote::shock: You prefer the stink of diesel fumes over veg oil? I find that incredulous - unless you live above a fast-food shop, that is. :P
Can't smell the diesel fumes when I stop at traffic lights like I can with the veg Its really pungent.
It is corn oil I'm using by the way.
How you can all bear to smell like that is beyond me, sod the environment I wouldn't shovel cow crap to make electricity and thats environmentally friendly.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

There is a hitherto unseen advantage to running on veg...

When working on any part of the fuel system it is by far nicer to get covered in veg than in diesel and there is no risk of contact dermatitis either :lol:

I'm in the camp that says it smells nicer than diesel but either way I'd not say it was exactly like being in a scented garden. More like our kitchen smells after the kids have a go at cooking for themselves...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

You cant beat the smell of veg oil in the morning.

And to be honest, i only really smelled it when reversing from inside the vehicle, all other times i was more aware of other peoples smelly petrol and diesel that seemed to be invading my cabin space.

As for the fuel filter housing leaking and fuel pump, well the fuel pump on mine was leaking before the veg use. and then when the fuel pump was changed, the leak started at the next weakest link, this was purely down to high pressure build up from a blocked fuel return line (fuel pump back to the tank) everything is as it should be now and i no longer get air ingress into the fuel line before the fuel pump.

Gunk build up at your fuel filter would be more down to the cleaning properties of vegetable oil on the diesel system. and not from veg in is self

So look at it one way and yes, because you have added vegetable oil to your car its now getting clogged up with crap from the diesel deposits.
1990 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo (The Fast One)
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

elma wrote:
MikeT wrote::shock: You prefer the stink of diesel fumes over veg oil? I find that incredulous - unless you live above a fast-food shop, that is. :P
Can't smell the diesel fumes when I stop at traffic lights like I can with the veg Its really pungent.
It is corn oil I'm using by the way.
How you can all bear to smell like that is beyond me, sod the environment I wouldn't shovel cow crap to make electricity and thats environmentally friendly.
The point is you tried it for yourself and have made an informed choice. :wink: